Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Abbey House

Estate(s)
Townland Cong South
Civil Parish Cong
PLU Ballinrobe
DED Cong 31
County Mayo
Barony Kilmaine
Description George McNamara inhabited a house in the grounds of Cong Abbey in the 18th century but Sir William Wilde refers to only a fragment of this house remaining in 1867. Alexander Lambert also lived in a house in the Abbey grounds. Wilde describes this house as follows "More to the west there recently existed the residence of the late proprietor, A.C. Lambert Esq., constructed of the unhewn, weather-worn, but square stones, collected in the locality. Being no longer required, and not being quite congruous with the scene, it has been removed". The remains of this building are now used by the Board of Works.
Abbey House, Cong

Property Location