The centre of the Barton estate was at Waterfoot near Pettigo in county Donegal. Through marriages with the Johnston family of Kinlough and the Montgomery family of Belhavel they held lands in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim. In 1876 the Barton estate in Leitrim amounted to over 1200 acres. The Ellis family acted as agents for the Bartons on their estates at Kinlough. Members of the Barton family also leased Mount Prospect house from the Connolly estate. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Wardhouse for more. In the 1850s Thomas Johnston Barton was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tumna, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. He also held land in the parish of Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, the Roscommon estate was the property of Hugh Barton of Dublin and the agent was Peyton of Knockvicar. This was the Cootehall estate, purchased in the earlier nineteenth century by the Bartons. Hugh Barton was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. The Bartons appear to have sold their Roscommon acreage by the 1870s.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Ward House||Wardhouse||Rossinver||Ballyshannon||Tullaghan 7||Rosclogher||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: G777566
OS Sheet: 1
Discovery map: 16
|Mount Prospect||Aghaderrard West||Rossinver||Ballyshannon||Aghavoghil 3||Rosclogher||Leitrim||
OSI Ref: G848544
OS Sheet: 2
Discovery map: 16
|Coote Hall||Cootehall||Tumna||Boyle||Oakport 35||Boyle||Roscommon||
OSI Ref: G894039
OS Sheet: 7
Discovery map: 33
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 23
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 303
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballyshannon Union, 46.
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Roscommon: Vol. I, 7.
- WELD, Isaac. ''Statistical Survey of the county of Roscommon''. Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1832. : 651
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 163
- WALFORD, Edward. 'The County families of the United Kingdom''. London: Chatto & Windus, 1885): p.58
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 31
- PINE, L.G. (ed). ''Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. 4th ed. London: Burke's Peerage, 1958.: 60-62.
- TONRA, Henry.''Parish of Ardcarne: a history''. (Cootehall, county Roscommon: [the author], 2001. : 123-124