The Barton estate was centred on Waterfoot near Pettigo, county Donegal. This was a branch of the Barton family of Grove, Fethard, county Tipperary. They had also acquired lands in county Fermanagh.
|Barton||The centre of the Barton estate was at Waterfoot near Pettigo in county Donegal. Through marriages with the Johnston family of Kinlough and the Montgomery family of Belhavel they held lands in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim. In 1876 the Barton estate in Leitrim amounted to over 1200 acres. The Ellis family acted as agents for the Bartons on their estates at Kinlough. Members of the Barton family also leased Mount Prospect house from the Connolly estate. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Wardhouse for more. In the 1850s Thomas Johnston Barton was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tumna, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. He also held land in the parish of Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, the Roscommon estate was the property of Hugh Barton of Dublin and the agent was Peyton of Knockvicar. This was the Cootehall estate, purchased in the earlier nineteenth century by the Bartons. Hugh Barton was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. The Bartons appear to have sold their Roscommon acreage by the 1870s.|
|Peyton (Knockvicar)||The representatives of Charles Peyton are recorded as the owners of over 600 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Over 150 acres in the barony of Boyle, part of the estate of the late Alicia Peyton, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in July 1877. Earlier, in 1851, over 1000 acres of the estate of Wynne Peyton, close to Carrick-on-Shannon but located in the barony of Boyle, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Peyton family were agents for the Barton and Neville estates. The family had been resident in the area since at least the eighteenth century as James Peyton, farmer and John Peyton, gentleman, are recorded in the Census of 1749.|