Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ellis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ellis Rev. Arthur Ellis is recorded as leasing land in the parish of Fenagh, county Leitrim, in 1856. The Ellis family had a house at Tankerville, Balbriggan, county Dublin and also held land in counties Cavan and Louth. Rev. Ellis had a shooting lodge at Slievenakilla in the parish of Drumreilly which the family used throughout the 19th century. It was later the property of John Benison, son-in-law of Rev. Ellis. The building is no longer extant. The Ellis estate in county Leitrim amounted to over 3,000 acres in the 19th century.
Barton The centre of the Barton estate was at Waterfoot near Pettigo in county Donegal. Through marriages with the Johnston family of Kinlough and the Montgomery family of Belhavel they held lands in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim. In 1876 the Barton estate in Leitrim amounted to over 1200 acres. The Ellis family acted as agents for the Bartons on their estates at Kinlough. Members of the Barton family also leased Mount Prospect house from the Connolly estate. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Wardhouse for more. In the 1850s Thomas Johnston Barton was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tumna, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. He also held land in the parish of Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, the Roscommon estate was the property of Hugh Barton of Dublin and the agent was Peyton of Knockvicar. This was the Cootehall estate, purchased in the earlier nineteenth century by the Bartons. Hugh Barton was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. The Bartons appear to have sold their Roscommon acreage by the 1870s.