Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barton (Grove)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Barton The centre of the Barton estate was at Waterfoot near Pettigo in county Donegal. Through marriages with the Johnston family of Kinlough and the Montgomery family of Belhavel they held lands in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim. In 1876 the Barton estate in Leitrim amounted to over 1200 acres. The Ellis family acted as agents for the Bartons on their estates at Kinlough. Members of the Barton family also leased Mount Prospect house from the Connolly estate. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Wardhouse for more. In the 1850s Thomas Johnston Barton was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Tumna, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. He also held land in the parish of Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey, the Roscommon estate was the property of Hugh Barton of Dublin and the agent was Peyton of Knockvicar. This was the Cootehall estate, purchased in the earlier nineteenth century by the Bartons. Hugh Barton was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. The Bartons appear to have sold their Roscommon acreage by the 1870s.
Barton (Rochestown) In the mid 19th century the representatives of Dunbar Barton (died 1848), sixth son of William Barton of Grove, county Tipperary, held an estate in the parish of Caher, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary. Details of the townlands are recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1840. His eldest son Samuel held land in the parish of Rochestown. In 1798 Dunbar Barton married Elizabeth, daughter of Reverend Samuel Riall of the Annerville family. Burke's Family Records states that the Bartons inherited the Rochestown estate through this marriage. Burke's (1847) records that it was from Elizabeth's maternal uncle, Lawford Miles, that the Rochestown estate was inherited. In the 1870s Major Christopher Barton of Rochestown, grandson of Dunbar, owned 1,764 acres while his uncle Thomas H. Barton of Dublin owned 679 acres in county Tipperary.
Everard (Co Tipperary) Although attained in 1691 for supporting the Jacobite cause, Sir John Everard did get his estate back when it was conveyed to trustees by a private act of Parliament in 1702. By the mid 18th century the debts due out of the estate were large and the Fethard part of it was sold in 1751 to Thomas Barton a Bordeaux wine merchant. Everard lands in the barony of Iffa and Offa were sold to Cornelius O'Callaghan, a Dublin lawyer and landowner in county Cork. Power writes that the sale of other Everard lands in 1727 helped to establish the Powers at Barrettstown and Gurteen and the Jacobs at Coolmore.
Barton (Grove) Thomas Barton bought the Everard estate at Fethard, county Tipperary, in 1751. He was a member of the Barton family of Curraghmore, county Fermanagh and in the 1720s established a wine business in Bordeaux, France. Through marriage the later generations of Barton had family connections with the Massys of Doonass, county Clare, the Ponsonby Barkers of Kilcooly Abbey, county Tipperary and the Perrys of Woodrooff, county Tipperary. Thomas Barton of Grove was Member of Parliament for Fethard before the Union. William Barton of Grove, born 1790, married Catherine Perry of Woodrooff. Burke's Family Records states that he died in 1837 but it is evident that he was alive in the late 1840s and his name is given in Griffith's Valuation as the immediate lessor of a large estate in the parish of Fethard, barony of Middlethird and in the neighbouring parishes of Baptistgrange, Barrettsgrange, Coolmundry, Peppardstown, Rathcool and Redcity. In the 1870s his son Samuel H. Barton of Grove owned 5,119 acres in county Tipperary. In 1955 Grove passed to a member of the Ponsonby family of Kilcooly Abbey, a cousin of the Bartons. The Bartons of Straffan, county Kildare were another branch of this family. The estate of Thomas Johnston Barton [of Glendalough, county Wicklow], third son of Hugh Barton of Straffan, at Cramp's Castle and Rathavin, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in 1865. In June 1881 a two fifths part of the lands of Ballyannymore, barony of Lower Ormond and premises in Nenagh, the estate of George William King and his wife Anna Maria nee Barton was advertised for sale.