Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massy (Ballynort)

In 1760 Hugh, 2nd Baron Massy, married Catherine, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. Their second son Edward succeeded to Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held the [former Taylor] estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. By the early 1870s some of this land in the parish of Robertstown was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following the Union of 1800. In the 1870s Edward Taylor Massy of Haversford West, Wales, owned 4,620 acres in county Limerick.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballynort Ballynort Askeaton Rathkeale Iveruss 122 Connello Lower Limerick OSI Ref: R358 524
OS Sheet: 11
Discovery map: 64