Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massy

Family title

Baron of Duntrileague


Estate(s)

Name Description
Massy The Massy family are descended from a Cromwellian soldier Captain Hugh Massy who was granted 3,055 acres in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, for his military services. His grant included the lands of Duntrileague. Two of his great grandsons became the 1st Baron Massy of Duntrileague and the 1st Baron Clarina of Elm Park. During the 18th century Duntrileague was the family seat but in the 19th century their main residence was Hermitage, close to Limerick city. In 1760 Hugh 2nd Baron Massy married Catherine eldest daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick of Edward Taylor of Ballynort. Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate passed to their second son Edward. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Massy is recorded as the immediate lessor of lands principally in the parish of Galbally but also in the parishes of Kilbeheny and Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s Lord Massy owned 8,568 acres in county Limerick and 1,120 acres in county Tipperary however his largest estate was in county Leitrim, amounting to over 24,000 acres in 1878. The Massy family had property in north county Leitrim with the bequest of the White estate at Lareen to John Massy, afterwards 6th Lord Massy. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Massy for more information. In the 1830s the Massy estate also owned property in the parish of Killora, county Galway where the agent was George Falkner of Tipperary. This property seems to have been leased by Richard Rathbourne of Ballymore. It was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in May 1852. Most of the Massy lands were sold in the last two decades of the 19th century and the family residences in the early years of the 20th century.
White (Lareen) The White family acquired these lands in the Kinlough area in the early 19th century though their main estate was at Luttrellstown, county Dublin, purchased in 1800 from the Earl of Carhampton. Frank Tracy describes the White purchases in county Leitrim in the early 19th century. See also http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Lareen, for more information. A branch of the Massy family (Baron Massy of Duntrileague) inherited these lands from the White family. The 4th Baron Massy of Duntrileague married Luke White's daughter, Matilda, and it was through this connection that the White lands in Leitrim passed to their second son, John Thomas, who became 6th Baron Massy of Duntrileague in February 1874 on the death of his older brother, Hugh, the 5th Baron.
White (Cahiracon) The Whites of Woodlands, county Dublin, Rathcline, county Longford, Lareen, county Leitrim, Cahircon, county Clare all descend from Luke White, a Dublin bookseller and lottery agent. In the mid 19th century his fourth son Colonel Henry White held an estate comprised of at least 24 townlands in the parishes of Abbey, Drumcreehy and Rathborney, barony of Burren, county Clare which he bought from the Duke of Buckingham circa 1848. The Whites also bought some of the Scott of Cahiracon estate and the Westropp of Attyflin estate, both in county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Colonel held an estate in the county Limerick parishes of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Newcastle, barony of Glenquin, Cloncagh, Cloncrew, Dromcolleher and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, as well as his county Clare estates. In 1863 the Colonel was raised to the peerage as Baron Annaly of Annaly and Rathcline, county Longford. He was succeeded by his eldest son Luke as 2nd Baron in 1873. His fifth son Charles William White of Cahiracon, Killadysert and Annaly Lodge, Broadford, inherited the county Clare estates comprised of 18,226 acres plus 5,731 acres in county Tipperary. In 1878 Charles William White sold the Broadford estate, barony of Tulla Lower to John Lecky Phelps. In the 1870s Lord Annaly of Woodlands (Luttrellstown), Clonsilla, county Dublin, owned 5,428 acres in county Limerick, 12,600 acres in county Longford and 2,139 acres in county Dublin. In 1906 Baron Annaly held untenanted land in the parish of Kilcooly, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary.
Butler (Carrick) In July 1677 Pierce Butler and his wife Ellice were granted 648 acres in the barony of Bunratty, county Clare and in December 1668 Pierce was granted a large estate in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny. Pierce succeeded his father as 4th Viscount Ikerrin in 1688. His grandnephew, Somerset Hamilton Butler, 8th Viscount, was created Earl of Carrick in 1748. The main seat of this family was Mount Juliet, Thomastown, county Kilkenny. In 1774 Henry Thomas, 2nd Earl, married Sarah, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Massy, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. In the 19th century the Earl of Carrick and the Honourable Edward Taylor Massy jointly held an estate in county Limerick, in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Adare and Iveruss in the barony of Kenry. Their agent was Edward Green of Greenmount, Patrickwell. By the early 1870s some of the land in the parish of Robertstown, county Limerick, was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following The Union of 1800. By the 1870s the Earl of Carrick owned 1,368 acres in county Kilkenny but only 64 acres in county Limerick. His county Limerick estate of over 2,200 acres in the baronies of Shanid and Connello Lower, with some 439 acres in county Kilkenny, was advertised for sale in November 1855. The county Tipperary estate of the Earl of Carrick was in the parishes of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh, Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty and Killavinoge and Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin in the mid 19th century. In July 1851 over 3,000 acres in county Tipperary and over 600 acres in county Kilkenny were advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal reported on the outcome of this sale in February 1852. Estates in counties Kilkenny (including Mount Juliet) and Tipperary were advertised for sale in November 1855 by the trustees of the will of Somerset Richard, Earl of Carrick.
Taylor (Ballynort & Holly Park ) An entry in ''Pue's Occurances'' 19-23 June 1739 indicates that the Taylors were resident at Ballynort, Holly Park and Woodcliff in county Limerick from at least that date. Feheney writes that the Taylors acquired their Askeaton lands through marriage with a Berkeley heiress and their Holly Park estate by purchase from Queen Anne (Chichester House Commissioners) in 1706. The Parliamentary Papers record the purchase by William Tayler of Burton, county Cork, of part of the confiscated estate of James II in the barony of Kenry, county Limerick, in 1703 for £3,059. Colonel Edward Taylor of Ballynort had two daughters, his co heiresses. Catherine married Hugh Massy, 2nd Baron Massy, in 1760 and Sarah married the Earl of Carrick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held an estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. At the same time Richard Taylor held two townlands in the parish of Kilcornan, barony of Kenry, county Limerick, amounting to over 800 acres. In 1852 he purchased the Woodcliff estate of Anselm Taylor in the Encumbered Estates Court. In the 1870s William Taylor of Holly Park, Pallaskenry owned 2,570 acres and Catherine Taylor of Holly Park, Adare, owned 669 acres in county Limerick.
Massy (Glenwilliam) A junior branch of the Massys of Duntrileague, county Limerick, descended from the Reverend Godfrey Massy of Mount Sion, county Limerick and Vicar of Dysart and Prebendery of Limerick. In 1819 George Massy of Glenwilliam married as his second wife Eliza Odell of the Grove, county Limerick. She married secondly Daniel Power. The Glenwilliam estate and the lands of Gortroe amounting to 942 acres belonging to George Thomas De Massy, a minor, were advertised for sale in June 1851. Sales of other lands continued to be advertised in the following years, including land in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork in November 1857. Glenwilliam was bought by Edward Atkinson some time in the 1850s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Massy estate in the parishes of Ballingarry and Croom was in the hands of the Court of Chancery. George Rollo Massy, a younger son of George and Eliza Massy, held land in th parish of Kilfinnane, barony of Coshlea, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the 1870s he owned 1,000 acres in county Limerick. His address was Usher's Quay, Dublin. In July 1866 and July 1875 lands at Ballinanima (178 acres), barony of Coshlea, the estate of George Rollo Massy were advertised for sale. A Mr. Sharp purchased some of these lands in trust in July 1866. A further sale of George Rollo Massey's property was advertised in the Land Judges' Court in November 1888.
Massy (Riversdale & Ballinacurra) Many townlands in the parish of Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, were part of the estate of the Barons Massy. The 1st Baron died at Stagdale Lodge in 1788. In the 19th century Hugh Massy of Riversdale, a grandson of the 2nd Baron Massy, held an estate in the parish of Galbally. He married Mary Anne only daughter of Robert Harding of Cherry Grove, county Limerick. In the 1870s Hugh Massy with an address at Ballinacurra House owned 2,309 acres in county Limerick. He died in 1881.
Massy (Ballynort) In 1760 Hugh, 2nd Baron Massy, married Catherine, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. Their second son Edward succeeded to Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held the [former Taylor] estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. By the early 1870s some of this land in the parish of Robertstown was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following the Union of 1800. In the 1870s Edward Taylor Massy of Haversford West, Wales, owned 4,620 acres in county Limerick.
Massy Beresford (Limerick) In 1878 Hussey de Burgh records Reverend John Massy Beresford of St Huberts, Linaskea, county Fermanagh, as the owner of 2,262 acres in county Limerick, 488 acres in county Tipperary and 1,183 acres in county Fermanagh. The return of 1876 gives his address as Magpie Hill, Peebles, and records his ownership of 1,604 acres in county Limerick. Reverend John was a son of the Honourable John Massy and a grandson of the 2nd Baron Massy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable John Massy held land in the parishes of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. In 1851 Reverend John Massy married Emily Sarah Beresford, a cousin of the Marquess of Waterford and a descendant of Sir Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone. She was co-heiress to the estate of her brother, George Beresford, of Macbie Hill, Peebles, Scotland. She and her husband assumed the additional surname of Beresford.
Dawson/Massy-Dawson (Ballynacourte) In 1666 John Dawson was granted an estate of over 2,900 acres in county Tipperary including the castle of Ballinecourte. In 1703 James Dawson of Ballynecourty, county Tipperary, purchased land in the baronies of Coonagh and Clanwilliam, county Limerick and Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, part of the confiscated estate of King James II. The 1st Baron Massy married as his first wife, Mary Dawson, daughter and heiress of James Dawson of Ballynacourty. Their second son, James (born 1736), assumed the additional surname of Dawson and his family succeeded to Ballynacourty. The estate of Reverend John Massy Dawson, grandson of James, is recorded as the immediate lessor of at least 20 townlands in the parish of Clonbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, though he himself died in 1850. His estate also held land in the parishes of Clonbullogue and Killardry, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballybacon, barony of Iffa and Offa West. In the 1870s his brother, George Staunton King Massy Dawson of Ballinacourty, owned 19,093 acres in county Tipperary.
Massy (Suir Castle) Francis Hugh Massy of Suir Castle, county Tipperary, (born 1755) was the fourth son of the the 1st Baron Massy. His son, also named Francis Hugh, married Anne Bomford Molloy (c.1820s) and in the 1850s held land in the parishes of Magorban, barony of Middlethird, Killardry and Reclickmurry and Athassel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. Lands belonging to Francis Massey of Suir Castle in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary and an undivided moiety of lands in the barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, were advertised for sale in May 1852. The estate of Francis Massy of Suir Castle amounted to 506 acres in the 1870s.