In 1878 Hussey de Burgh records Reverend John Massy Beresford of St Huberts, Linaskea, county Fermanagh, as the owner of 2,262 acres in county Limerick, 488 acres in county Tipperary and 1,183 acres in county Fermanagh. The return of 1876 gives his address as Magpie Hill, Peebles, and records his ownership of 1,604 acres in county Limerick. Reverend John was a son of the Honourable John Massy and a grandson of the 2nd Baron Massy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable John Massy held land in the parishes of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. In 1851 Reverend John Massy married Emily Sarah Beresford, a cousin of the Marquess of Waterford and a descendant of Sir Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone. She was co-heiress to the estate of her brother, George Beresford, of Macbie Hill, Peebles, Scotland. She and her husband assumed the additional surname of Beresford.
No houses were found for this estate
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 146
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 310
- BATEMAN, John. ''The great landowners of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison, 1883. : p.38
Modern printed sources
- MOSLEY, Charles (ed). ''Burke's Peerage and Baronetage''. Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999: II, 1878-1882 (Massy) & 2948-2955 (Waterford)