Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Beresford/Le Poer Beresford

Family title

Marquis of Waterford, Lord Decies


Estate(s)

Name Description
Beresford/Le Poer Beresford The Beresford family, Marquis of Waterford and Viscount Tyrone, owned land in various parts of Ireland, including almost 40,000 acres in county Waterford, 26,000 in county Wicklow and over 4,500 acres in county Leitrim. In 1870, Lord Charles Beresford offered for sale leases on lands held from the Diocese of Kilmore in the Landed Estates' Court. These lands were situated in the barony of Carrigallen, county Leitrim and in county Cavan. The sale also included the demesne of Garadice and the mill at Boeshill. In December 1871 the Irish Times reported on the sale of 148 lots of the estate of the Marquis of Waterford in the Landed Estates Court. In 1878, Reverend Marcus Beresford owned 950 acres and Lord Charles Beresford is recorded as owning 500 acres in Leitrim. In 1850, the estate was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Clonagam, Guilcagh, Kilmeadan, Mothel and Rathgormuck, barony of Upperthird, Dungarvan and Kilrush, barony of Decies-without-Drum and Ballygunner, Crooke and Kilea, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford. The Marquis also held land in the parish of Castletownarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary.
Massy Beresford (Limerick) In 1878 Hussey de Burgh records Reverend John Massy Beresford of St Huberts, Linaskea, county Fermanagh, as the owner of 2,262 acres in county Limerick, 488 acres in county Tipperary and 1,183 acres in county Fermanagh. The return of 1876 gives his address as Magpie Hill, Peebles, and records his ownership of 1,604 acres in county Limerick. Reverend John was a son of the Honourable John Massy and a grandson of the 2nd Baron Massy. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable John Massy held land in the parishes of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper and Galbally, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. In 1851 Reverend John Massy married Emily Sarah Beresford, a cousin of the Marquess of Waterford and a descendant of Sir Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone. She was co-heiress to the estate of her brother, George Beresford, of Macbie Hill, Peebles, Scotland. She and her husband assumed the additional surname of Beresford.
Beresford (Woodhouse) In the 1870s Robert H. Beresford was the owner of over 2000 acres in county Waterford. Almost 200 acres of his estate in the barony of Decies-without-Drum was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1874. The Uniacke estate at Woodhouse, Stradbally, was inherited by the Beresfords in the 1850s. The ITA Survey notes that this occurred through the marriage of Colonel Beresford to Frances C. Uniacke.