Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Montgomery (Grey Abbey)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Butler (Carrick) In July 1677 Pierce Butler and his wife Ellice were granted 648 acres in the barony of Bunratty, county Clare and in December 1668 Pierce was granted a large estate in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny. Pierce succeeded his father as 4th Viscount Ikerrin in 1688. His grandnephew, Somerset Hamilton Butler, 8th Viscount, was created Earl of Carrick in 1748. The main seat of this family was Mount Juliet, Thomastown, county Kilkenny. In 1774 Henry Thomas, 2nd Earl, married Sarah, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Massy, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. In the 19th century the Earl of Carrick and the Honourable Edward Taylor Massy jointly held an estate in county Limerick, in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Adare and Iveruss in the barony of Kenry. Their agent was Edward Green of Greenmount, Patrickwell. By the early 1870s some of the land in the parish of Robertstown, county Limerick, was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following The Union of 1800. By the 1870s the Earl of Carrick owned 1,368 acres in county Kilkenny but only 64 acres in county Limerick. His county Limerick estate of over 2,200 acres in the baronies of Shanid and Connello Lower, with some 439 acres in county Kilkenny, was advertised for sale in November 1855. The county Tipperary estate of the Earl of Carrick was in the parishes of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh, Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty and Killavinoge and Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin in the mid 19th century. In July 1851 over 3,000 acres in county Tipperary and over 600 acres in county Kilkenny were advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal reported on the outcome of this sale in February 1852. Estates in counties Kilkenny (including Mount Juliet) and Tipperary were advertised for sale in November 1855 by the trustees of the will of Somerset Richard, Earl of Carrick.
Massy (Ballynort) In 1760 Hugh, 2nd Baron Massy, married Catherine, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. Their second son Edward succeeded to Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held the [former Taylor] estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. By the early 1870s some of this land in the parish of Robertstown was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following the Union of 1800. In the 1870s Edward Taylor Massy of Haversford West, Wales, owned 4,620 acres in county Limerick.
Montgomery (Grey Abbey) Francis Octavius Montgomery was the sixth son of the Reverend Hugh Montgomery of Grey Abbey, county Down, and his wife the Honourable Emilia Ward, daughter of Viscount Bangor. In July 1873 an estate of 898 acres at Aughinish East and West, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, belonging to him was advertised for sale. Aughinish East and West were in the possession of Edward Taylor Massy and the Earl of Carrick at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Montgomery (Killee) This family appear to have connections with the Grey Abbey, county Down family. Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904) records George Montgomery succeeded to the estates of his half brother Wriothesley De la Rue at Killee, county Cork, in 1734. His great grandson also named George married Elizabeth Jane Carey heiress to Careysville and the Montgomerys inherited that property. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend William Quinn Montgomery owned land in the parish of Marshalstown, barony of Condons and Clangibbon. In the 1870s the Montgomerys owned 1,482 acres in county Cork.