Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Taylor (Ballynort & Holly Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Massy The Massy family are descended from a Cromwellian soldier Captain Hugh Massy who was granted 3,055 acres in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, for his military services. His grant included the lands of Duntrileague. Two of his great grandsons became the 1st Baron Massy of Duntrileague and the 1st Baron Clarina of Elm Park. During the 18th century Duntrileague was the family seat but in the 19th century their main residence was Hermitage, close to Limerick city. In 1760 Hugh 2nd Baron Massy married Catherine eldest daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick of Edward Taylor of Ballynort. Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate passed to their second son Edward. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Massy is recorded as the immediate lessor of lands principally in the parish of Galbally but also in the parishes of Kilbeheny and Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s Lord Massy owned 8,568 acres in county Limerick and 1,120 acres in county Tipperary however his largest estate was in county Leitrim, amounting to over 24,000 acres in 1878. The Massy family had property in north county Leitrim with the bequest of the White estate at Lareen to John Massy, afterwards 6th Lord Massy. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Massy for more information. In the 1830s the Massy estate also owned property in the parish of Killora, county Galway where the agent was George Falkner of Tipperary. This property seems to have been leased by Richard Rathbourne of Ballymore. It was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in May 1852. Most of the Massy lands were sold in the last two decades of the 19th century and the family residences in the early years of the 20th century.
Butler (Carrick) In July 1677 Pierce Butler and his wife Ellice were granted 648 acres in the barony of Bunratty, county Clare and in December 1668 Pierce was granted a large estate in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny. Pierce succeeded his father as 4th Viscount Ikerrin in 1688. His grandnephew, Somerset Hamilton Butler, 8th Viscount, was created Earl of Carrick in 1748. The main seat of this family was Mount Juliet, Thomastown, county Kilkenny. In 1774 Henry Thomas, 2nd Earl, married Sarah, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Massy, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. In the 19th century the Earl of Carrick and the Honourable Edward Taylor Massy jointly held an estate in county Limerick, in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Adare and Iveruss in the barony of Kenry. Their agent was Edward Green of Greenmount, Patrickwell. By the early 1870s some of the land in the parish of Robertstown, county Limerick, was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following The Union of 1800. By the 1870s the Earl of Carrick owned 1,368 acres in county Kilkenny but only 64 acres in county Limerick. His county Limerick estate of over 2,200 acres in the baronies of Shanid and Connello Lower, with some 439 acres in county Kilkenny, was advertised for sale in November 1855. The county Tipperary estate of the Earl of Carrick was in the parishes of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh, Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty and Killavinoge and Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin in the mid 19th century. In July 1851 over 3,000 acres in county Tipperary and over 600 acres in county Kilkenny were advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal reported on the outcome of this sale in February 1852. Estates in counties Kilkenny (including Mount Juliet) and Tipperary were advertised for sale in November 1855 by the trustees of the will of Somerset Richard, Earl of Carrick.
Taylor (Ballynort & Holly Park ) An entry in ''Pue's Occurances'' 19-23 June 1739 indicates that the Taylors were resident at Ballynort, Holly Park and Woodcliff in county Limerick from at least that date. Feheney writes that the Taylors acquired their Askeaton lands through marriage with a Berkeley heiress and their Holly Park estate by purchase from Queen Anne (Chichester House Commissioners) in 1706. The Parliamentary Papers record the purchase by William Tayler of Burton, county Cork, of part of the confiscated estate of James II in the barony of Kenry, county Limerick, in 1703 for £3,059. Colonel Edward Taylor of Ballynort had two daughters, his co heiresses. Catherine married Hugh Massy, 2nd Baron Massy, in 1760 and Sarah married the Earl of Carrick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held an estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. At the same time Richard Taylor held two townlands in the parish of Kilcornan, barony of Kenry, county Limerick, amounting to over 800 acres. In 1852 he purchased the Woodcliff estate of Anselm Taylor in the Encumbered Estates Court. In the 1870s William Taylor of Holly Park, Pallaskenry owned 2,570 acres and Catherine Taylor of Holly Park, Adare, owned 669 acres in county Limerick.
Massy (Ballynort) In 1760 Hugh, 2nd Baron Massy, married Catherine, daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick, of Edward Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick. Their second son Edward succeeded to Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Edward Taylor Massy and the Trustees of the Earl of Carrick jointly held the [former Taylor] estate in the parishes of Loghill, Nantinan, Rathronan and Robertstown, barony of Shanid and Iveruss, barony of Kenry. By the early 1870s some of this land in the parish of Robertstown was owned by Francis Octavius Montgomery. Lewis writes that the Earl of Carrick and the representatives of Lord Massy also received compensation when Askeaton was deprived of its franchise following the Union of 1800. In the 1870s Edward Taylor Massy of Haversford West, Wales, owned 4,620 acres in county Limerick.
Sankey Under the Acts of Settlement Hierom Sankey was granted over 12,700 acres in county Kerry and some lands in counties Kilkenny and Tipperary for the use of the children of Henry Ireton. Richard Sankey, a Colonel in the Williamite army, married Mary Taylor of Ballynort, county Limerick, and died in 1693. Their son Jacob Sankey of St Johnstown, county Tipperary, was the father of Matthew Sankey of Coolmore, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Sankey estate was located in the parishes of Modeshil and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Captain Jacob Hierom Sankey of Coolmore owned 769 acres in county Tipperary and 392 acres in county Waterford. The property in the latter county consisted of townlands in the parish of Reisk, barony of Middlethird.