Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Cloonyquin)

''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Arthur French of Tyrone bought Cloonyquin from the Right Honourable William Conolly, who had bought it from the Trustess of Irish Forfeitures. From Arthur French's second marriage to the widow of Iriel Farrell of Cloonyquin descend this branch of the French family. Arthur French of Cloonyquin bought part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the late 17th century. In 1828 William French of Clooniquin was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the French estate was in the parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon. Some of it was leased by Patrick Taaffe of Foxborough. Christopher French of Cloonyquin owned 3,701 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Part of the French estate was conveyed to the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cloonyquin Boyanagh Elphin Strokestown Cloonyquin 93 Roscommon Roscommon OSI Ref: M830 842
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 33
Foxborough Foxborough Elphin Strokestown Cloonyquin 93 Roscommon Roscommon OSI Ref: M852826
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 33

Archival sources

  • Westport Estate Papers, Collection List 78; National Library of Ireland
  • Map of the estate of Major Arthur St George French, in the electoral division of Cloonyquin, barony of Roscommon, 1906. 15.A.20(11); National Library of Ireland
  • Cloonyquin House, press cuttings file. 133/023; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources