Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Corr


Estate(s)

Name Description
Goff This family were descended from the Goff family of Kingstown, Dublin who had married into the Caulfield family. In 1828 Robert Goff was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Goff estate included the demesne at Oakport, near Boyle. In 1863 Oakport demesne and other lands were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. A lithograph of the house is included in the sale rental. Later the main family seat was at Carrowroe House, parish of Roscommon. The family also held townlands in the parish of Baslick, barony of Castlerea, Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and Killukin, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s three Goff brothers owned about 9,000 acres in county Roscommon. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Thomas C. E. Goff were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 17 June 1912 and 560 acres belonging to James C. Goff on 31 Mar 1915.
French (Cloonyquin) ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Arthur French of Tyrone bought Cloonyquin from the Right Honourable William Conolly, who had bought it from the Trustess of Irish Forfeitures. From Arthur French's second marriage to the widow of Iriel Farrell of Cloonyquin descend this branch of the French family. Arthur French of Cloonyquin bought part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the late 17th century. In 1828 William French of Clooniquin was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the French estate was in the parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon. Some of it was leased by Patrick Taaffe of Foxborough. Christopher French of Cloonyquin owned 3,701 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Part of the French estate was conveyed to the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.
Corr Henry Corr held land from the Goffs at Derrane, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon in the first half of the 19th century. In the 1850s he also held Cloonyquin, parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon, presumably from the French family. Luke Corr of Durham is mentioned in newspaper reports of the trial of Owen Beirne for the murder of the Reverend John Lloyd in 1847, see http://www.obeirnefamily.cwc.net/issue4/Owen%20Beirne%202.htm In another source Luke Corr is recorded as owning 1,454 acres in county Galway while George Corr and others owned 1,040 acres in the same county. 235 acres held by Miss Marie Corr at Derham or Durham 'now called Garvoher' was advertised for sale in January 1861 and again in January 1875. The Irish Times of January 1861 reports that one lot was purchased by a Mr. Drought. In the 1870s Miss Maria Corr of Derrane owned 27 acres in county Roscommon. The Sandys family also held some land in Derrane including Durham Lodge. James Sandys of Durham Lodge owned 158 acres in the 1870s.
Sandys Edwyn Sandys Reynolds, a Protestant gentleman, resided at "Darham" in 1749. Robert Sandes was living at Sandfield House, barony of Athlone, in county Roscommon in the early 19th century. By the mid 19th century a Sandys family also held some land in Derrane, barony of Ballintober South, including Durham Lodge. James Sandys of Durham Lodge owned 158 acres in the 1870s.