Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Cloonyquin)


Estate(s)

Name Description
French (Tyrone) Jeffrey French was granted various lands in counties Mayo, Galway, Roscommon and Clare by patent dated 10 Aug 1678. His brother Arthur French of Tyrone, county Galway, Mayor of Galway 1691, had 2 sons Christopher from whom descend the French/St George family of Tyrone and Arthur ancestor of the French family of Cloonyquin, parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon. Patrick French of Brook Lodge, parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway, was a younger son of Christopher of Tyrone. Burke writes that Arthur French, Christopher's heir was involved in a case in the House of Lords 1764-1765 French v Caddell. In 1736 he married Olivia Usher sister of St George Usher St George of Headford, county Galway, created Baron St George of Hatley St George. Their son Christopher assumed the surname St George in 1774 in compliance with his great grandfather's will.
French (Cloonyquin) ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that Arthur French of Tyrone bought Cloonyquin from the Right Honourable William Conolly, who had bought it from the Trustess of Irish Forfeitures. From Arthur French's second marriage to the widow of Iriel Farrell of Cloonyquin descend this branch of the French family. Arthur French of Cloonyquin bought part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport in the barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the late 17th century. In 1828 William French of Clooniquin was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the French estate was in the parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon. Some of it was leased by Patrick Taaffe of Foxborough. Christopher French of Cloonyquin owned 3,701 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Part of the French estate was conveyed to the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906.
Corr Henry Corr held land from the Goffs at Derrane, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon in the first half of the 19th century. In the 1850s he also held Cloonyquin, parish of Elphin, barony of Roscommon, presumably from the French family. Luke Corr of Durham is mentioned in newspaper reports of the trial of Owen Beirne for the murder of the Reverend John Lloyd in 1847, see http://www.obeirnefamily.cwc.net/issue4/Owen%20Beirne%202.htm In another source Luke Corr is recorded as owning 1,454 acres in county Galway while George Corr and others owned 1,040 acres in the same county. 235 acres held by Miss Marie Corr at Derham or Durham 'now called Garvoher' was advertised for sale in January 1861 and again in January 1875. The Irish Times of January 1861 reports that one lot was purchased by a Mr. Drought. In the 1870s Miss Maria Corr of Derrane owned 27 acres in county Roscommon. The Sandys family also held some land in Derrane including Durham Lodge. James Sandys of Durham Lodge owned 158 acres in the 1870s.
Taaffe (Foxborough) A family of Taaffe were established as landowners in the Strokestown area from the 18th century. Gerald Dillon writes that they were apparently a junior branch of the Taaffes of Smarmore Castle, county Louth. In the mid 19th century Patrick Taaffe held lands in the parishes of Elphin, Killukin and Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, from a number of land owners but mainly from Christopher French of Cloonyquin and James Dillon. Joanna and Julia Taaffe offered over 600 acres in county Mayo and over 1000 acres in county Roscommon for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1856. The Mayo estates were in the barony of Costello while the Roscommon lands were in the barony of Frenchpark and were formerly the estate of Christopher Taaffe, deceased. The Mayo lands were purchased by Mr.O'Hagan in trust while the Roscommon lands were purchased by Mr. O'Grady. In the 1870s Patrick Taaffe of Foxboro, Tulsk, owned 171 acres in county Roscommon. The estate of Joseph Plunkett Taaffe in the parishes of Killukin and Kiltrustan was advertised for sale in June 1883. The Irish Times reported that this property had been purchased in trust on behalf of Dr. Scallan for £2000. Gormley states that the Taaffes had formerly been an influential family in the area but had lost their inheritence thorough maintaining a lavish lifestyle. Members of this family are buried in the graveyard of Tulsk Abbey.