Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Muckloon)

In 1728 the Kellys settled at Muckloon, parish of Taghboy, barony of Killian, county Galway, which they leased from the D'Arcy family. In the 19th century members of the family were prominent as officers in the British Army and were absentee landlords. In May 1851 Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinglass, parish of Killeroran, advertised for sale the fee of the Muckloon estate. In the 1870s General Sir Richard Denis Kelly owned over 4,000 acres in county Galway and 959 acres in county Roscommon.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Muckloon Muckloon Taghboy Mountbellew Taghboy 151 Killian Galway OSI Ref: M806 460
OS Sheet: 47
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), D'Arcy, 6 May 1851, Vol 7, MRGS 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Photostat copy of notes on families of Kelly of Cos Galway and Roscommon, c 1921. MS 8157; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Kelly of Ballyforan & Kilcash, Co Roscommon, Muckloon, Co Galway & Weston, Co Meath, c 1600- c 1907. GO MS 180: 571-575; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Kelly of Muckloon & Ballyforan 1650-1900. GO MS 809: 12; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources