Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Muckloon)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly (Muckloon) In 1728 the Kellys settled at Muckloon, parish of Taghboy, barony of Killian, county Galway, which they leased from the D'Arcy family. In the 19th century members of the family were prominent as officers in the British Army and were absentee landlords. In May 1851 Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinglass, parish of Killeroran, advertised for sale the fee of the Muckloon estate. In the 1870s General Sir Richard Denis Kelly owned over 4,000 acres in county Galway and 959 acres in county Roscommon.
D'Arcy (Ballinlass) In the first half of the 19th century Nicholas D'Arcy owned land in the parishes of Aghascragh and Taghboy, baronies of Killian and Athlone on the border of counties Galway and Roscommon, which included parts of the estate of the Kellys of Muckloon and Gonville ffrench's Claremount estate. D'Arcy advertised the sale of the fee of these lands amounting to 2,350 acres in May 1851 and parts again in June 1852 and February 1853. Some lands in the barony of Loughrea were also included. The Right Honourable R. W. Greene and Richard Bolton were among the purchasers. Bolton resold Eskermore in 1884. In October 1890 Richard A. D'Arcy advertised the sale of Kentstown, barony of Killian in the Land Judges' Court. The notice includes a detailed description of the house at Kentstown.
Lloyd (Rockville) Rockville, originally a Blackburn property, came into the possession of the Lloyd family following the marriage of Owen Lloyd of Lissadorn and Susanna Blackburn in 1740. Colonel Owen Lloyd of Rockville was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. In the 1850s William Lloyd held land in the parishes of Drum, Killinvoy, Kiltoom, St Peters, St Johns, Tisrara, barony of Athlone, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, Aughrim, Clooncraff, Kiltrustan and Elphin, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon. Most of his estate was in the hands of the Court of Chancery at this time. He is also recorded as a lessor in the parish of Kilkeevin, barony of Castlereagh. Portions of both the Castlereagh and Roscommon estates were offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1860. The Irish Times of 30 November 1860 carries a detailed list of purchasers. In the 1870s the representatives of William Lloyd held over 7000 acres in county Roscommon. Over 2,200 acres belonging to Major William Lloyd and 810 acres belonging to Owen M.L. Lloyd were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in March and July 1915 respectively. Richard Pennefather Lloyd, a Dublin barrister and second son of Owen Lloyd of Rockville, married a daughter of James Kelly of Muckloon, parish of Taghboy, barony of Killian, county Galway and was leasing most of the Kelly estate in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s Richard P. Lloyd of Herbert St, Dublin, owned 177 acres in county Roscommon.