Landed Estates
NUI Galway

D'Arcy (Ballinlass)


Estate(s)

Name Description
ffrench (Claremont) Gonville ffrench was a younger brother of the 3rd Baron ffrench of Castle ffrench, county Galway. He lived at Claremont, county Roscommon and held lands in county Mayo in the parishes of Kilmainebeg, Kilmainemore and Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, in county Galway in the parishes of Killeroran and Killian, barony of Killian and in county Roscommon in the parishes of Cam and Dysart, barony of Athlone. The lands in the parish of Cam were sold to Sir Thomas ffrench of Castleffrench in November 1792 by Robert Blakely who had bought them the previous July. They later formed part of Gonville ffrench's marriage settlement trust. Some of Gonville ffrench's county Galway estate was held from Nicholas D'Arcy. His interest in county Mayo lands may possibly have derived from his mother, a Redington of Kilcornan, county Galway, a family who had landed interests in county Mayo. His main tenant and agent was James Fox of Lakefield, Shrule. In 1851 and 1852 his assignee Henry Lyons advertised for sale his estates in counties Mayo and Roscommon, each amounting to just over a thousand acres. Some of the county Mayo estate was bought by William Booth, while another lot was purchased by Thomas H. Kenny. The Roscommon estate was still in Gonville ffrench's possession at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His interest in the fee farm rent of Gorteens, parish of Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, was sold by his assignees in 1867. The Irish Times notes that it was purchased by Mr. A. Kyne for over £1900. Gonville ffrench married Clare or Clarinda Kenney of Kilclogher, county Galway. They had no children and the ffrench interest in Claremont appears to have been inherited by Gonville's nephew, Edward Thomas ffrench Beytagh, of Cappagh, county Galway. Some of this latter property was sold by the trustees of Clarinda ffrench's estate in February 1873. The purchasers were Messers. Hynes of Ballinasloe, Mr. Conway, solicitor in trust and Patrick and William Murphy. Claremont on 181 acres was advertised for sale in November 1885.
Greene (Co Galway) The Right Honourable Richard Wilson Greene became Attorney General for Ireland in 1846. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, barony of Kiconnell, county Galway. Greene also held Ballyforan, parish of Taghboy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and had an interest in other land in the parish of Dysart, barony of Athlone. He had purchased some of the estate of Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinlass in the early 1850s. In 1863 Michael Ellis advertised for sale 28 acres at Ballyforan held on a lease from R.W. Greene dated 1 May 1856 for 999 years. Thomas Greene, with an address at St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, owned over 1300 acres in county Galway and 467 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.
Kelly (Muckloon) In 1728 the Kellys settled at Muckloon, parish of Taghboy, barony of Killian, county Galway, which they leased from the D'Arcy family. In the 19th century members of the family were prominent as officers in the British Army and were absentee landlords. In May 1851 Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinglass, parish of Killeroran, advertised for sale the fee of the Muckloon estate. In the 1870s General Sir Richard Denis Kelly owned over 4,000 acres in county Galway and 959 acres in county Roscommon.
D'Arcy (Ballinlass) In the first half of the 19th century Nicholas D'Arcy owned land in the parishes of Aghascragh and Taghboy, baronies of Killian and Athlone on the border of counties Galway and Roscommon, which included parts of the estate of the Kellys of Muckloon and Gonville ffrench's Claremount estate. D'Arcy advertised the sale of the fee of these lands amounting to 2,350 acres in May 1851 and parts again in June 1852 and February 1853. Some lands in the barony of Loughrea were also included. The Right Honourable R. W. Greene and Richard Bolton were among the purchasers. Bolton resold Eskermore in 1884. In October 1890 Richard A. D'Arcy advertised the sale of Kentstown, barony of Killian in the Land Judges' Court. The notice includes a detailed description of the house at Kentstown.