Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Greene (Co Galway)

The Right Honourable Richard Wilson Greene became Attorney General for Ireland in 1846. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, barony of Kiconnell, county Galway. Greene also held Ballyforan, parish of Taghboy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and had an interest in other land in the parish of Dysart, barony of Athlone. He had purchased some of the estate of Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinlass in the early 1850s. In 1863 Michael Ellis advertised for sale 28 acres at Ballyforan held on a lease from R.W. Greene dated 1 May 1856 for 999 years. Thomas Greene, with an address at St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, owned over 1300 acres in county Galway and 467 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Barnavihall House Barnavihall Kilconnell Ballinasloe Kilconnell 8 Kilconnell Galway OSI Ref: M750339
OS Sheet: 73, 74
Discovery map: 47
Claremont Ballyforan Taghboy Athlone Taghboy 8 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M823 465
OS Sheet: 47
Discovery map: 47
Mount Florence Garrynagawna Drum Athlone Crannagh 3 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: N013 373
OS Sheet: 52
Discovery map: 47
Ballyforan Ballyforan Taghboy Athlone Taghboy 8 Athlone North Roscommon OSI Ref: M814473
OS Sheet: 47
Discovery map: