Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Greene (Co Galway)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Greene (Co Galway) The Right Honourable Richard Wilson Greene became Attorney General for Ireland in 1846. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, barony of Kiconnell, county Galway. Greene also held Ballyforan, parish of Taghboy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and had an interest in other land in the parish of Dysart, barony of Athlone. He had purchased some of the estate of Nicholas D'Arcy of Ballinlass in the early 1850s. In 1863 Michael Ellis advertised for sale 28 acres at Ballyforan held on a lease from R.W. Greene dated 1 May 1856 for 999 years. Thomas Greene, with an address at St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, owned over 1300 acres in county Galway and 467 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.
D'Arcy (Ballinlass) In the first half of the 19th century Nicholas D'Arcy owned land in the parishes of Aghascragh and Taghboy, baronies of Killian and Athlone on the border of counties Galway and Roscommon, which included parts of the estate of the Kellys of Muckloon and Gonville ffrench's Claremount estate. D'Arcy advertised the sale of the fee of these lands amounting to 2,350 acres in May 1851 and parts again in June 1852 and February 1853. Some lands in the barony of Loughrea were also included. The Right Honourable R. W. Greene and Richard Bolton were among the purchasers. Bolton resold Eskermore in 1884. In October 1890 Richard A. D'Arcy advertised the sale of Kentstown, barony of Killian in the Land Judges' Court. The notice includes a detailed description of the house at Kentstown.
O'Sullivan John O'Sullivan held land in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon in the 1850s. He was a descendant of James O'Sullivan who in 1725 married Mary Moore, one of the heiresses of her brother John Moore of Drum. John O'Sullivan's father had died young in 1823 and his mother remarried Dr William O'Reilly of county Meath and they continued to live in the main O'Sullivan residence then known as 'Whitehouse'. In the 1850s John O'Sullivan was in financial difficulties partly due to legal proceedings against him. Mount Florence was advertised for sale in 1855 but the family retained it, John O'Sullivan died there in 1874. In the 1870s John O'Sullivan of Mount Florence, Athlone, owned 1,489 acres in county Roscommon. His estate containing parts of Carrickynaghten, Carrickynaghten and Garrynagowna Bog and Garrynagowna was advertised for sale on 6 Feb 1883 by his widow and son Raphael O'Sullivan.