Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Sullivan

John O'Sullivan held land in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon in the 1850s. He was a descendant of James O'Sullivan who in 1725 married Mary Moore, one of the heiresses of her brother John Moore of Drum. John O'Sullivan's father had died young in 1823 and his mother remarried Dr William O'Reilly of county Meath and they continued to live in the main O'Sullivan residence then known as 'Whitehouse'. In the 1850s John O'Sullivan was in financial difficulties partly due to legal proceedings against him. Mount Florence was advertised for sale in 1855 but the family retained it, John O'Sullivan died there in 1874. In the 1870s John O'Sullivan of Mount Florence, Athlone, owned 1,489 acres in county Roscommon. His estate containing parts of Carrickynaghten, Carrickynaghten and Garrynagowna Bog and Garrynagowna was advertised for sale on 6 Feb 1883 by his widow and son Raphael O'Sullivan.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mount Florence Garrynagawna Drum Athlone Crannagh 3 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: N013 373
OS Sheet: 52
Discovery map: 47