Landed Estates
University of Galway

Ballinwear

Houses within 5km of this house

Displaying 24 houses.

Houses within 5km of Ballinwear

Displaying 24 houses.

House name Description
Mount Pleasant The main home of the Jackson family in the 19th century, occupied by John Short in 1814, by Captain Jackson in the 1830s and by Major Jackson in the early 1850s. The house with 448 acres was held from John Willington. The buildings were valued at £29+. Francis Freeman was the tenant in 1870. This house no longer exists.
Rapla Rapla was a Freeman home in the 18th century and was inhabited for a time by the Otways, Phoebe Otway having married Daniel Freeman of Rapla. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to Rapla as the seat of Mr. Willington. Jonathan Willington, younger brother of John of Killoskehane, was residing at Rapla in 1814 and William Cooper Crawford in 1837. William Cooper Crawford married Sophia Morgan [nee Willington] as her second husband. By the early 1850s John Tuthill was resident holding the house valued at £42+ from William Cooper Crawford. The sale rental of 1850 describes Rapla as a first class house held on a lease for 7 years from the Court of Chancery to John Tuthill. This house no longer exists. Photo of Rapla
Richmond Bence Jones writes that this was a fortified house onto which a three storey house was built in 1733. The house was later altered and expanded. Richmond was the seat of the Gason family in the 18th and 19th centuries, originally known as Killashalloe. Occupied by Richard Gason in 1814 and in 1837 and held by him in fee in the early 1850s when it was valued at £46. This house remained in Gason possession until 1956 when the roof was removed and the farm was sold in 1962. Part of the facade of the Ulster Bank headquarters at George's Quay, Dublin, was constructed from blocks of stone from Richmond House (''The Irish Independent'', 16 March 1999) .
Southhill In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to South Hill House as "a good dwelling house, the residence of Mr. J. Manders" though Patrick Clark is mentioned as the proprietor. It was valued at £23+ in the mid 19th century, occupied by John Vincent and held from the Honourable O.F.G.Toler. At the time of the 1855 sale the house was untenanted. This house no longer exists.
Islandbawn Malachi Ryan held a house, offices, flour mill and 76 acres at Islandbawn from the Honourable O.F.G. Toler at Islandbawn in the mid 19th century. The buildings were valued at £85. Photo of Islandbawn
Clermont House Clermont or Claremount House, Nenagh, was occupied by William Short in 1814 and by Frederick Evans in 1837. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as "a good dwelling house, the residence of Mr. J. Evans". It was also occupied by Evans at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The house was then valued at £24 and held from the Marquess of Ormond. This house still functions as a residence. Photo of Clermont House
Rathurles Rathurles was the home of the Brereton family in the 19th century. Occupied by John Brereton in 1814 and T. Brereton in 1837. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as "a modern building". Thomas Brereton was still resident at the time of Griffith's Valuation holding the property valued at £27.15 shillings from Patrick Kernan. Home of Hugh Finch in the 1870s. This house is still extant and occupied. Photo of Rathurles
Ashleypark Ashleypark was occupied by the Heads from at least the 1770s. It was the home of John Head in 1814. It became the seat of a branch of the Atkinson family when purchased by George Guy Atkinson in 1824. G. Atkinson was the proprietor in 1837. George Atkinson held the property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £23.10 shillings. Thomas Biggs of the Bellevue family married Alice Margery Atkinson in 1903. The house was valued at £35 and occupied by Thomas B. Biggs Atkinson in 1906. His niece Zelie Biggs eventually inherited Ashleypark. The house was sold to Sean and Nora Mounsey in 1983. It now functions as a guest house. Photo of Ashleypark
Beechwood Park Beechwood, near Nenagh, was occupied by Richard C. Langford in 1814 and Lewis writes that Beechwood was the property of Colonel Toler Osborne but was occupied by D. Falkiner and had once been the residence of the Earl of Norbury. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "Beech Wood, the fine seat of Daniel Toler". In the mid 19th century William Osborne was resident, holding the property in fee. The buildings were valued at £33. Occupied by Lady Osborne in 1906 when the buildings were valued at £40+. The home of Philip Blake, genealogist, in the mid 20th century. This mid 18th century house still functions as a country house. Photo of Beechwood Park
Prospect Taylor and Skinner record General Gabbet as the proprietor in the 1770s. This house was occupied by J. S. Handcock in 1837 and by Maurice Studdert in the early 1850s and held from Sir John Carden. The buildings were valued at £15.10 shillings. In 1840 it was described in the Ordnance Survey Name Books as "a good dwelling house with ornamental grounds, the residence of Thomas Purvis". Later leased to the Woodwards and still in use as a residence. Photo of Prospect
Blackfort William Molloy was resident in 1814 and W. Minnett in 1837. Blackfort was advertised for sale in May 1851 by the Reverend David Fitzgerald, Edward Galwey was the petitioner. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Galwey held Blackfort, or Lisduff as it became known, in fee. The buildings were valued at £15.10 shillings. Edward Galwey of Lisduff, Nenagh, owned 245 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Richard Galway occupied Blackfort in 1906 when the house was valued at £22+. Photo of Blackfort
Ballyanny Lewis records J. Maher as resident at Ballyhenny in 1837. James Meagher occupied the house valued at £16 in the mid 19th century and held the property from Thomas Carroll. James Meagher of Ballyanny, Nenagh, owned 370 acres in the 1870s.
Wellington In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Wellington as "the commodious dwelling house of Edwin Sadlier". By the time of Griffith's Valuation, the house was occupied by Daniel Falkiner, valued at £20 and held from the representatives of Colonel Brereton. This house is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. It was replaced by another house also known as Wellington, closer to the mill, in the early 1870s, and this latter house is still extant. Photo of Wellington
Rockford The original house was marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map but it was enlarged and altered sometime after the first Ordnance Survey. Another house also known as Rockford House was built to the south east of the original house in 1881 for Theobald Richard Wolfe, Grid Ref R855 821. It remained in the possession of the Wolfe family until 1943. Rockfort (sic) was the residence of Jeoffrey Kingsley in 1814 and of J. Wolfe in 1837. In 1823 John Wolfe married Frances Elizabeth Kingsley, an only child. John Wolfe held the house valued at £18 and 232 acres from the representatives of General Chowe in the early 1850s. The Wolfes were still resident in the 1870s. Photo of Rockford
Moyroe Moyroe was the home of Samuel Laurence in 1814 and of Malachy Ryan in the mid 19th century. Malachy Ryan held the townland of 51 acres in fee and the buildings were valued at £10.10 shillings. A building still exists at this site.
Brook Watson Feltham Watson occupied Brook Watson in 1837 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the house was valued at £26 and held from the representatives of Peter Holmes. By 1870 in the hands of the Brereton family. Photo of Brook Watson
Riverston Leets records Riverstown, Nenagh, as the home of Wills Crofts. In 1806 John Bennett of Cork city married the only daughter of Wills Crofts of Riverston, county Tipperary (''Freeman's Journal'' 12 June 1806). In 1837 John Bennett was the proprietor of Riverston. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bennett held the property from the representatives of Peter Holmes and the house was valued at £55 and the nearby mill at £54. The home of a member of the Poe family in the 1870s. Photo of Riverston
Summerville In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe Summerville as "a commodious dwelling house, the residence of O'Brien Dillon" but Major Laurence is noted as the proprietor. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, the house was occupied by the representatives of Wills Bennett and held from John Bennett. The buildings were valued at £24. This house no longer exists.
Kilruane House A house constructed in the later nineteenth century on lands owned by Sir Mark A.H. Tuite. It is labelled Kilruane House on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s. In 1894 Slater notes it as the residence of Sir Mark Tuite. It is still extant and occupied. Photo of Kilruane House
Knigh Cottage In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books mention Right Hon. Thomas Lefroy as the proprietor of this house, "a neat cottage, the residence of William Kingsley". He was still the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when the house was valued at £5. Family history sources suggest that the Kingsley family continued to reside at Knigh Cottage into the early twentieth century when it was acquired by the Harty family. It is still extant.
River View (Knigh) James Kingsley was leasing this property from the Farrar estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £10+. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to River View House as "a commodious dwelling house, the residence of John Tuthill, esq.". Buildings are still extant at the site.
Millview In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe Mill view as "a good dwelling house, the residence of Mr. Short" though noting S. Pepper as the proprietor. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was leased by Richard Brandley from Mary O'Leary when it was valued at £11. A house is still extant at the site.
Smithville [Yewstown House] In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Smithville "a commodious dwelling house", the residence of Mr. Boucher, though Peter Homes is mentioned as the proprietor. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Aquilla Smith, MD, was leasing a property from the Holmes estate valued at £38. In addition Smith was leasing another property, valued at £15, to the Nenagh Poor Law Guardians, for use as an auxiliary workhouse. By the publication of the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s, a more substantial house at the site has become known as Yewston House. The building at the site now is known as The Manor and is in use as a nursing home. Photo of Smithville [Yewstown House]
Annebrook House The Ordnance Survey Name Books reported in 1840 that Annebrook House was the residence of Henry Young but that P. Holmes was the proprietor. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Henry Young was leasing the property, valued at £10+, from the Holmes estate. Buildings are still extant at the site including the remains of substanial farm buildings associated with the farm which is mentioned in the 1840s. Photo of Annebrook House