Clogher West
Houses within 5km of this house
Displaying 9 houses.
Houses within 5km of Clogher West
Displaying 9 houses.
House name | Description | |
---|---|---|
Garrane | A house located on the Wyse Minors estate in the mid 19th century, occupied by Margaret Hartigan and valued at £11+. This house is barely marked on the first Ordnance Survey map. | |
Bruree Lodge | Bruree was the home of the Langton family in the 18th century. The house was occupied by Michael Ryan at the time of Griffith's Valuation and held from Michael Shaughnessy, it was valued at £13+. |
![]() |
Bruree House | Bruree House was also located on the Langton estate although at the time of the first Ordnance Survey the property was in the hands of Robert Fetherston who held a number of townlands in the parish, possibly from the Langtons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was in use as an auxiliary workhouse. In 1853 Bruree House was sold to a member of the Shelton family and in 1868 it was sold to John Gubbins of the Kilfrush family. He was a successful racehorse owner and in 1884 built the present Bruree House. When he died in 1906 the property passed to his nephew John Norris Browning. The house was valued at £92 at this time. Owned by the Sheehans and Vernons in the 20th century. Now function as as a rehabilitation centre, known as Cuan Mhuire. A print entitled "The Lawn Meet" by Patrick Hennessy depicts this house. See www.museum.limerick.ie |
![]() |
Castle Ievers | The Ievers were living at Castle Ievers, originally known as Tullerboy, from the mid 18th century. Bence Jones dates this house from the early 19th century. Robert Ivers was resident in 1814, 1837 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £32. The property was held from William Maunsell. The Irish Tourist Association surveyor wrote in 1943 that much of Tullerboy Castle was demolished in the 1860s to make way for the present building. The owner in the 1940s was Roderic Haines. |
![]() |
Coolboy | A herd's house and offices situated on the St Leger estate was occupied by Henry Ievers at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £14+. Coolboy was occupied by the representatives of Robert Cleary in 1906. A substantial farm is still extant at the site. | |
Cooleen | At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Hart Mason held the townland of Cooleen amounting to 88 acres in fee. The buildings were valued at £12. |
![]() |
Maidstown Castle | Originally known as Ballyvenoge, Seoighe writes that John Ormsby first lived at Maidstown which he sold to the Webbs when he went to live at Athlacca. By the mid 18th century the Webbs had sold Maidstown to the Gubbins. The home of a branch of the Gubbins family in the late 18th century and early 19th century. The house was valued at £20 and held by Patrick Coll from John White in the mid 19th century. The Colls sold Maidstown to the O'Regans in 1972. A house is still extant at the site as well as the ruin of the original tower house. | |
Harding Grove | Occupied by G. Harding in 1814 and H. Harding in 1837. The seat of Mr Harding at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. By the time of Griffith's Valuation a Neill McDonald was in possession of Harding Grove. Neil Macdonald of Steyle Park, Bruree owned 354 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Francis H. Wyse is recorded as the occupant of Harding Grove in 1906. |
![]() |
Athlacca House | A residence of the Ormsby family in the 18th century. On the first Ordnance Survey map the house is marked "in ruins". Also known as Old Court. |