Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bruree House

Estate(s)
Townland Garroose
Civil Parish Bruree
PLU Kilmallock
DED Bruree 25
County Limerick
Barony Connello Upper
Description Bruree House was also located on the Langton estate although at the time of the first Ordnance Survey the property was in the hands of Robert Fetherston who held a number of townlands in the parish, possibly from the Langtons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was in use as an auxiliary workhouse. In 1853 Bruree House was sold to a member of the Shelton family and in 1868 it was sold to John Gubbins of the Kilfrush family. He was a successful racehorse owner and in 1884 built the present Bruree House. When he died in 1906 the property passed to his nephew John Norris Browning. The house was valued at £92 at this time. Owned by the Sheehans and Vernons in the 20th century. Now function as as a rehabilitation centre, known as Cuan Mhuire. A print entitled "The Lawn Meet" by Patrick Hennessy depicts this house. See www.museum.limerick.ie
Bruree House [Cuan Mhuire] (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location