Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lynch/Wilson Lynch (Renmore & Duras)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch/Wilson Lynch (Renmore & Duras) A Galway family who prospered in the 18th century as merchants and bankers. Patrick M. Lynch is recorded as the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Killinny, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in 1855, formerly part of the de Basterot estate. He was also the owner of a house in the townland of Doorus Park. Patrick Lynch is also recorded as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Duras. His agent was James Connor, of Newtown Lynch, Kinvarra. The Lynches also held Renmore on the outskirts of Galway city from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith Schools and lands in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare. Patrick Lynch married Ellen Wilson and their son John inherited his uncle's estate at Belvoir, county Clare. The family name became Wilson-Lynch. The Wilson-Lynch estate amounted to over 5000 acres in the 1870s with a further estate of over 3000 acres in county Clare. In 1906 John Wilson Lynch is recorded as the owner of about 150 acres of untenanted demesne land in the Doorus Park area where the mansion was situated.
Redington (Kilcornan) The Redington family estate was centred on their house at Kilcornan. This had previously been a Burke estate which the Redingtons had acquired through marriage. Christopher Redington is described as a resident proprietor in 1824. In the 1830s townlands in the parishes of Kilconickny & Kilconierin are recorded as being the property of Mr. Redington. In 1855 Sir Thomas Redington owned several townlands in the parishes of Ballynacourty Kilconierin and Stradbally in the barony of Dunkellin including a house valued at £4 but accompanied by 100 acres of land. This was leased by Sir Thomas Redington to John Caven at Ballynamanagh in the parish of Ballynacourty. Also 8 townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, were part of the Redington estate. The family owned over 10,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 Anne Redington is recorded as the owner of over 900 acres of untenanted demesne lands at Kilcornan. In December 1913 2,748 acres of the estate of the Misses Reddington was vested in the Congested Districts' Board.
Erasmus Smith Schools, Governors (Galway) An estate in the parishes of St Nicholas and Oranmore, barony of Galway, was owned by the Governors or Trustees of the Erasmus Smith Schools. Much of this estate was held by the Joyces of Mervue and the Lynches of Renmore. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 1585 acres.
Staunton/Lynch Staunton The Stauntons, originally from Buckinghamshire, England, settled in county Galway in the mid 17th century and were established on an estate centred at Cargin Castle in the barony of Clare by the early 18th century. 18th century members of the family were distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and absentee landlords. The estate was leased to the Frenchs of Monieva in the mid 18th century. The estate came back into Staunton possession in the 1780s and William Skerrett of Carrownacroagh acted as agent. Clydagh House was built in the early 1820s. The estate eventually passed to a member of the Lynch family of Duras to whom the Stauntons were connected by marriage. George Staunton Lynch took the additional surname of Staunton. The Lynch Stauntons also had 2 townlands in parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. Between the 1830s and mid 1850s Staunton lands in the parish of Annaghdown were sold to Mary Woodcock and George Stanfort. In the 1870s the Lynch Stauntons owned 1,395 acres in county Galway and 733 acres in county Mayo. Michael Carroll states that the house was burnt in 1922 and was sold by the Lynch Staunton family in 1947.
Lynch (Mountbellew) Richard Marcus Lynch, a younger son of Mark Lynch and his second wife Victoire Cormick, inherited an estate in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway, from his father, who was leasing some of the estate from the Bellew family. Richard M. Lynch was a Poor Law Inspector and a Special Commissioner for Income Tax. In the 1870s Richard M. Lynch of London is recorded as owning 513 acres in county Galway. In 1904 when Richard M. Lynch's only child Anna Varenne Foster died, the estate passed to the Wilson Lynch family of Duras and Renmore. Their family and estate papers now in the James Hardiman Library, NUIG, contain some records relating to the estate of Richard M. Lynch.
Wilson (Belvoir) The Wilson family settled at Belvoir, near Sixmilebridge, county Clare, in the 18th century. Richard Wilson was agent to Sir Donat O'Brien, !st Baronet of Dromoland and Leamaneh, at the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century. By the mid 19th century their estate was centred in the parishes of Clonlea and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower and in the parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Bunratty Lower. The Wilson estate passed to John Wilson Lynch of Renmore, county Galway, son of Patrick Marcus Lynch and Ellen Wilson and nephew of David Wilson. In the 1870s, John Wilson Lynch owned 3,106 acres in county Clare and almost 6,000 acres in county Galway. In January 1860 the 248 acre estate at Streamstown, Feenagh, near Sixmilebridge, of Michael Murphy and Charles Henry James (an official signee of the Court of Bankruptcy) assignees of Edward Lucius Wilson, 'deceased', was advertised for sale. This property was held under a fee farm grant from Henry O'Brien Earl of Thomond to Richard Wilson in 1712.