Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wilson (Belvoir)

The Wilson family settled at Belvoir, near Sixmilebridge, county Clare, in the 18th century. Richard Wilson was agent to Sir Donat O'Brien, !st Baronet of Dromoland and Leamaneh, at the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century. By the mid 19th century their estate was centred in the parishes of Clonlea and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower and in the parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Bunratty Lower. The Wilson estate passed to John Wilson Lynch of Renmore, county Galway, son of Patrick Marcus Lynch and Ellen Wilson and nephew of David Wilson. In the 1870s, John Wilson Lynch owned 3,106 acres in county Clare and almost 6,000 acres in county Galway. In January 1860 the 248 acre estate at Streamstown, Feenagh, near Sixmilebridge, of Michael Murphy and Charles Henry James (an official signee of the Court of Bankruptcy) assignees of Edward Lucius Wilson, 'deceased', was advertised for sale. This property was held under a fee farm grant from Henry O'Brien Earl of Thomond to Richard Wilson in 1712.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Belvoir Belvoir Clonlea Limerick Castlecrine 115 Tulla Lower Clare OSI Ref: R507 708
OS Sheet: 43
Discovery map: 58
Feenagh House Feenagh Feenagh Ennis Sixmilebridge 42 Bunratty Lower Clare OSI Ref: R449661
OS Sheet: 51
Discovery map: 58

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (Dunboyne), Murphy, James & Wilson, 27 Jane 1860, Vol 29, 45-48; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Murphy, James & Wilson, 27 Jane 1860, Vol 58 (17), MRGS 39/029, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources