Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Pery

Family title

Earl of Limerick


Estate(s)

Name Description
McManus (Barleyhill) The McManus family held an estate in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen, count Mayo, from at least the mid 18th century. Some of the lands were held in fee, some on leases renewable for ever. Edward Deane of Carrowgowan was agent to McManus in the 1830s. The estate of 1464 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in July 1851. The first sale was adjourned but it was later bought by Mrs Pery, a member of the Knox Gore family, who leased it to George Harkin. It was later bought by the Aitken family, who still own the property. Patrick Ruane made a detailed study of this house in his thesis.
Ormsby (Rinagry) A small estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, held by a junior branch of the Ormsby family of Gortnaraby. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they were leasing from Edward S. Pery. In 1876 the estate amounted to 553 acres. In the mid 19th century another family member, Duke Ormsby, held two townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny.
Pery/ Pery Knox Gore An estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, formerly belonging to the Ormsby family of Cloghan, passed to the Pery family by the marriage in 1783 of Edmond H Pery, 1st Earl of Limerick, and an Ormsby heiress. Part of the Pery estate was in the parish of Ballynahaglish. In 1851 Mrs Pery, nee Knox Gore, bought the McManus estate of Barleyhill, barony of Gallen. The Perys were leasing Belleek Castle from E.J. Howley at the end of the 1860s. They later built Coolcronaun House where the Pery Knox Gores continued to reside until 1964. Their estate amounted to over 5,000 acres in the 1870s. In 1930 most of the estate was taken over by the Land Commission.
Pery Sometime in the mid 17th century Susanna Sexton, eventually heiress to the Sexton estates in county Limerick, married Edmond Pery of Croom, county Limerick. In 1677 Bartholomew Stackpole was granted over 3,000 acres in county Clare and the power to hold fairs at Stackpole Court [Ballymulcashel, parish of Kilfinaghta] on specific days of the year. His estate passed to the Pery family due to the marriage of his daughter to Colonel Edmond Sexton Pery. The Perys later inherited the Munster estates of the Hartstonge family through marriage with a member of the Ormsby family of Cloghran, Co Mayo. Edmond Henry Pery was created Earl of Limerick in 1802. By the early 1850s the Earl of Limerick's county Clare estate was in the parishes of Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper and Clonlea and Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower. The Earl's county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Kildimo, barony of Kenry, Knockainy and Monasteranenagh, barony of Smallcounty and in Liberties and city of Limerick and his county Cork estate was in the parishes of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, Caherduggan, barony of Fermoy and Little Island, barony of Barrymore. The latter was leased to the Burys of Little Island. The county Cork estate was advertised for sale in May 1872 and was comprised of 1,594 acres in the barony of Duhallow held in fee simple and fee farm rents out of 1,681 acres at Little Island, barony of Barrymore and 539 acres at Derryvillane, barony of Fermoy. Seven lots were sold to Sir Henry Beecher for over £38,000 while the lot in the Barony of Fermoy was bought in trust for Sergeant Armstrong. Griffith's Valuation also records the trustees of the Earl of Limerick holding land in the barony of Coshma parishes of Bruff, Dromin, Tullabracky and Uregare, county Limerick. Daniel Barrington was the agent for the estate in the 1840s. Up to the mid 19th century the main residence of the Earls of Limerick was in Henry Street, Limerick, later occupied by St Munchin' s College. By the end of the 19th century they were mainly absentee and their main residence was at Welwyn, Hertfordshire. In the 1870s the Earl of Limerick owned 1550 acres in county Clare, over 4000 acres in county Limerick and 76 acres in county Cork. In 1907 the Earl of Limerick advertised for sale the ground rents of his property in the city of Limerick. The sale catalogue and maps can be accessed on the Limerick library website http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/The1907SaleofLimerickCatalogueMaps/
Bury (Little Island & Curraghbridge) A branch of the Bury family, Earls of Charleville, descended from Phineas Bury of Little Island, county Cork, fifth son of John Bury of Shannon Grove, county Limerick. "Irish Family Records" records Thomas fourth son of John Bury as "of Curraghbridge". At the time of Griffith's Valuation Phineas Bury of Little Island and Curraghbridge, Adare, county Limerick, held 3 townlands in the parish of Adare, barony of Kenry, including Curraghbridge. Phineas died in 1853. Eliza Bury [his widow] held land in the parish of Little Island from the Earl of Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s their son Phineas Bury of Little Island, Queenstown, county Cork, owned 603 acres in county Limerick and 890 acres in county Cork. Phineas Bury's uncle the Reverend Robert Bury of Carrigrenane, county Cork, married Letitia Barry of Ballyclogh, county Cork, the Bury Barry family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend R. Bury held land in the parishes of Ballydeloher and Little Island, barony of Barrymore.
Hartstonge In the 18th century the Harstonge family held lands in the Bruff and Kildimo areas of county Limerick. They also had property in Limerick city and in the parish of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. They first intermarried with the Perys, Earls of Limerick in 1757 and by the early 19th century the Perys had inherited the Hartstonge's Munster estates. See Dr Malcomson's introduction to The Limerick Papers, Collection List 121, National Library of Ireland. Lewis writes that the town of Bruff and surrounding area was formerly the property of the Hartstonge family but by 1837 was in the possession of the Earl of Limerick.
Bevan (Camas) Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' states that Thomas Beevin leased the lands of Camass, county Limerick, from Sir Standish Hartstonge Baronet in 1703 and it is obvious from the Ordnance Survey Name Books that the Bevans held Camas from the Earl of Limerick in the 1840s. Thomas Beevin's grandson, Henry, adopted the spelling 'Bevan'. Henry had three sons. From his second son descend the Bevans of Lemonfield, who mortgaged their North Camass property to the senior branch of the family in 1836. Members of the senior branch of the family intermarried with the Purdon, Gubbins, Furnell, Massy and Cooke families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Frederick Bevan held an estate located in the parishes of Bruff, Dromin, Uregare, barony of Coshma and Darragh, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Reverend Frederick Bevan of Camass owned 72 acres in county Limerick and he eventually went to live in Australia. His father, John Bevan of Elton House, owned 1,000 acres in the county and their cousin, Joseph Bevan of Glenbevan, owned 586 acres. Lands in the barony of Connello Lower bought by Joseph Bevan in the Encumbered Estates' Court, formerly part of the Southwell estate, were advertised for sale in July 1879 by members of the Bevan, Finch and Taverner families. The estate of William Bevan, situated in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in October 1854.
Walcott (Croagh) Captain Thomas Wallcott was granted lands close to the city of Limerick by patent dated 1667. This would appear to be the same person as Colonel Thomas Walcott of Croagh, county Limerick, who was involved in the Rye House Plot. He married Jane Blayney. A mortgage dated 1698 in the Scott solicitor's collection (D.10,549) refers to John Walcott of Grays Inn, Middlesex, son of Thomas Walcott of Croagh. The Walcotts held over 1,000 acres in the barony of Connello, county Limerick and lands in the barony of Burren, county Clare, at this time. The Minchin Walcotts eventually succeeded to Croagh and in 1755 Jane eldest daughter of John Minchin Walcott, Member of Parliament for Askeaton, married as his first wife the Reverend William Cecil Pery. They were the parents of the 1st Earl of Limerick. By the 1790s the Walcotts were leasing Croagh to Gerald Fitzgerald of Croagh and his son also named Gerald (National Archives D.11,029). In 1837 Lewis referred to John Walcott of Clifton, Bristol but originally of Croagh House. Joseph Robert Mahony's rental of part of the lands of Croagh (Ballylin wood and Raheen) was advertised for sale in November 1856. The petitioners were members of the Enraght, Walcott and Fosberry families. The rental records that Raheen House was erected during the liftetime of the late John Walcott. http://www.wolcottfamily.com/shropshire.html In March 1851 the estate (695 acres) of George Walcott and Henry Lyons Walcott at Middlewalk or Ballygibbon, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal reported that this property was bought by William White. Messrs Wallcott are recording as holding land in the parish of Ballygibbon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Oxford DNB records John Walcott (1754-1831), naturalist, eldest son of John Walcott and Mary Yeamans, who had an estate at Croagh, county Limerick. John Walcott married in 1782 Anne Lloyd and in 1783 Dorothy Mary Lyons. The Reverend Mackenzie E.C. Wallcott (1821-1880) of London, who also merits an entry in the DNB, owned 722 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s but no Irish connection is mentioned.