Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hartstonge

In the 18th century the Harstonge family held lands in the Bruff and Kildimo areas of county Limerick. They also had property in Limerick city and in the parish of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. They first intermarried with the Perys, Earls of Limerick in 1757 and by the early 19th century the Perys had inherited the Hartstonge's Munster estates. See Dr Malcomson's introduction to The Limerick Papers, Collection List 121, National Library of Ireland. Lewis writes that the town of Bruff and surrounding area was formerly the property of the Hartstonge family but by 1837 was in the possession of the Earl of Limerick.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Court/Kildimo Court Court Kildimo Rathkeale Kildimo 127 Kenry Limerick OSI Ref: R467 528
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • The Limerick Papers, Collection List 121; National Library of Ireland
  • W.B. Scott, solicitor's collection, contains many records re land transactions in Cos Clare, Limerick & Cork, 18th-19th centuries, including references to this family. Small Accs Index 76 ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources

  • ''The Irish Genealogist'': Testamentary Records from Letitice Evoryna O’Hanlon of Orior (formerly part of the collection of her cousin, the late F. Elrington Ball), include those of Francis Hartstonge eldest son of Sir Standish Hartstonge 1683 and Standish Hartstonge of Dublin, brother of John Bishop of Ossory 1704/5 . II (1943-1955), 141-157