Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Widenham


Estate(s)

Name Description
Quin/Wyndham-Quin Thady Quin (1645-1726) of Adare, county Limerick, had two sons from whom descend the Earls of Dunraven and the Quins of Rosbrien. In 1707, Thady's eldest son, Valentine Quin, married Mary Widenham and had two sons, Widenham and George of Quinsborough, county Clare. Valentine Richard Quin, eldest son of Widenham, was created 1st Earl of Dunraven in 1822. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Dunraven estate was mainly located in the parish of Adare, baronies of Kenry and Coshma, county Limerick, but the Earl also held land in the parishes of Kildimo and Croom, barony of Kenry and in the parishes of Ballingarry and Kilfinny, barony of Connello Upper, Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin and Anhid, Croom, Drehidtarsna and Dysert, barony of Coshma. The estate also held lands in the county Tipperary parish of Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. His agent circa 1840 was [his cousin] Gamaliel Fitzgerald [Magrath] of George's St, Limerick. In the 1870s his estate was comprised of 14,298 acres. He was recorded as the proprietor of 164 acres in county Clare and over 850 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Hartstonge In the 18th century the Harstonge family held lands in the Bruff and Kildimo areas of county Limerick. They also had property in Limerick city and in the parish of Castlemagner, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. They first intermarried with the Perys, Earls of Limerick in 1757 and by the early 19th century the Perys had inherited the Hartstonge's Munster estates. See Dr Malcomson's introduction to The Limerick Papers, Collection List 121, National Library of Ireland. Lewis writes that the town of Bruff and surrounding area was formerly the property of the Hartstonge family but by 1837 was in the possession of the Earl of Limerick.
Compton (Limerick) The Compton of Court, county Limerick, entry in the General Armory (1884) refers to a relationship with the Comptons of Willsgrove, county Roscommon and with the Widenhams of Court, county Limerick. The Comptons held some land in county Limerick in the 19th century. A fragment of a receiving rental of Henry Compton, relating to tenants of properties in Bunlickey, Camheen, Glen, Ballinacurra and High Street, Limerick, from Dec 1836 to Jan 1838, is held in the Limerick City Archives. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Captain Henry Compton held land in the parish of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien. In March 1852 the estate of Cecilia Fitzgerald, trustee named in the will of Henry Compton, was advertised for sale. The estate amounted to 182 acres at Ballinacurra (Bowman), borough of Limerick, the castle, town and lands of Glin, barony of Shanid and Camheen, barony of Pubblebrien. Francis Compton of Dame Street, Dublin, owned 185 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. It is clear from the will of Walter Widenham of Limerick dated 1797 that all the Compton lands originally belonged to the Widenham family and came into the possession of the Compton family under the terms of Walter's will.
Widenham There appear to be two branches of this family one in county Limerick and one in county Cork. Henry Widenham of Court, county Limerick, son of Henry Widenham was granted lands in the baronies of Kenry and Pubblebrien, county Limerick in 1684. He died in 1719 leaving two daughters, his co heiresss. Mary married Valentine Quin of Adare and Alice married Price Hartstonge, eldest son of Sir Standish Hartstonge, 2nd Baronet, of Bruff, county Limerick. In 1703 Henry Widenham of Court bought part of the confiscated estate of James II in the baronies of Kenry and Connello. Walter Widenham of Limerick city made his will in March 1797 leaving all his property in trust to Captain Widenham of Castle Widenham, county Cork, and Edmund Burton, Clifton, county Clare, for the benefit of his daughter, Frances Blood, for life and then to her children and in default to his three nephews, William, Hyacinth and Francis Compton. Lieutenant Colonel John Widenham was granted over 2,600 acres in the barony of Fermoy, county Cork in 1666.