Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Minchin


Estate(s)

Name Description
Clive (Rock House) George Clive, Member of Parliament and barrister, of Perrystone Court, Herefordshire, built up an extensive estate of 35,229 acres (1876) in the barony of Erris by purchasing land from the O'Donels, Marquess of Sligo and the Birch family. The final offer by the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of almost 33,000 acres of the estate had been accepted by March 1916. George Clive of Ballycroy also owned 4,869 acres in county Tipperary [bought by the Clives from the Minchins in the 1770s]. In the mid 19th century the representatives of Henry Clive held an estate in the parishes of Bourney, Corbally, Killavinoge and Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. The Clive family were related to the Boltons of Knock, county Louth and to Dr Bolton, Archbishop of Cashel.
Gascoigne/Trench (Castle Oliver) Richard Oliver of Castle Oliver, county Limerick, took the additional name of Gascoigne when he and his wife became the successors to the Gascoigne of Parlington estate in Yorkshire. Richard Oliver Gascoigne died in 1843 and was succeeded by his two daughters. In 1850 Mary Isabella married the Honourable Frederic Charles Trench, a first cousin of the 2nd Baron Ashtown. In 1852 her sister Elizabeth married Frederic Mason Trench, 2nd Baron Ashtown, of Woodlawn, county Galway, as his second wife. They had no children. Griffith's Valuation records the county Limerick estate of Elizabeth O. Gascoigne and her brother-in-law, Frederic Charles Trench, as situated mainly in the parish of Kilflyn, Kilfinnane and Particles but also in the parishes of Athneasy, Ballingarry, Darragh, Emlygrennan, Kilbreedy Major, and Knocklong, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Lord Ashtown owned over 11,000 acres in county Limerick while the Honourable F.C.T. Gascoigne of Parlington, Yorkshire, who had taken the additional name of Gascoigne, owned 7,766 acres in county Limerick. In June 1875 an estate on the Shannon estuary at Killocally, barony of Shanid, amounting to 727 acres was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne from Charles H. Minchin.
Sleeman At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Sleeman held a townland in the parish of Kilfergus, barony of Shanid, county Limerick. The estate of Richard Quin Sleeman amounting to 727 acres at Killocally, barony of Shanid, was advertised for sale in December 1856 and was bought by Charles H. Minchin.
Minchin (Greenhills & Killacolla) ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that William Minchin, fifth son of Charles Minchin, bought Greenhills in 1703. In November 1851 the estate of his descendant the Reverend William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. It was comprised of 2,748 acres in the baronies of Eliogarty, Upper Ormond and Ikerrin, county Tipperary and 805 acres in King's County [county Offaly]. Montague Blackett bought the 332 acres of Greenhills (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm). Griffith's Valuation records the Reverend Minchin holding land in the parishes of Holycross, barony of Eliogarty, Borrisnafarney and Cullenwaine, barony of Ikerrin. The Reverend William Minchin was married to Mary Anne Corker Wright and their second son was Edward Corker Minchin who married Sarah Anne Hutchinson of Rockforest in 1848. After the sales of Greenhills and Rockforest members of this Minchin family emigrated to New Zealand and Australia. In June 1875 the 727 acre estate of the trustee of Charles Humphrey Minchin deceased at Killacolla, parish of Kilfergus, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, was advertised for sale. The sale included several fisheries in the River Shannon. The rental records that this estate had been purchased by Charles H. Minchin in the Encumbered Estates' Court from Richard Quin Sleeman. It includes notes re the bidding and that the property was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne for £11,000. Lieutenant Charles Humphrey Minchin was the third son of William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary. In 1817 he married Amelia Wright of Rutland, King's County (county Offaly) and they had a number of children.
Minchin (Busherstown) Humphrey Minchin was granted 1,271 acres in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary in 1668. His brother Charles Minchin was granted about 500 acres in the same barony in 1667 and bought the Annagh estate from Major Solomon Cambie in 1669 and the Ballinakill estate from Sir Richard Stephens in 1680. From Charles descend the various branches of the Minchin family. The senior branch of the family descend from Humphrey Minchin of Ballinakill Castle and Busherstown, county Offaly. Ballinakill Castle was sold by Humphrey's son Paul in the mid 18th century and estates were purchased in England. In the mid 19th century the English branch of the family still held an estate in the parishes of Bourney, Corbally and Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In 1869 Henry James Bunbury of Holywell, Hants and Lord of the Manor of Soberton died, leaving his English estates to his nephew Falkiner John Minchin of Annagh. H.J.B. Minchin's sister Georgina married in 1829 William Minchin of Annagh, county Tipperary descended from John Minchin, fourth son of the original Charles. The Busherstown property continued in the possession of the family of Humphrey, third son of Humphrey of Ballinakill Castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Humphrey held land in the parish of Rathnaveoge, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In the 1870s his son George John Minchin of Busherstown owned 432 acres in county Tipperary, 392 in county Limerick and 1,340 acres in King's County.
Minchin (Annagh) The Minchins of Annagh, county Tipperary, descend from John Minchin of Annagh and Castle Inch, county Kilkenny, fourth son of the original Charles Minchin of Annagh and Busherstown. Descendants of John married with members of the Greens of Old Abbey, county Limerick, Falkiners of Cork and the Gabbetts of Caherline, county Limerick. In the mid 19th century the Minchin estate in the parish of Kilbarron amounted to at least 8 townlands. In the 1870s Falkner John Minchin owned 1,754 acres in county Tipperary.
Gibson (Rockforest) William Gibson purchased the Rockforest estate, county Tipperary, [in the 1850s.] By his first wife, Louisa Grant of Dublin, he had five sons and a daughter. His second son, Edward, Attorney General for Ireland 1877-1880, was created Baron Ashbourne in 1885. William died in 1872 and was succeeded by his eldest son, Captain William Gibson of Rockforest, Roscrea, county Tipperary, who owned 5,214 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. A headstone in Mount Shannon Church of Ireland cemetery, county Clare, marks the burial place of the Captain's eldest son, Major William Gibson, who was born at Rockforest in 1874 and died in 1957. see www.clarelibrary.ie/. In the 1880s Bateman recorded the Gibson estate in county Tipperary at over 5,200 acres.
Minchin (Woodville) Edward Minchin of Glenahilty, county Tipperary, was the sixth son of Charles Minchin. His third son Charles of Woodville and Ballygibbon married Elizabeth Massy of Stoneville, county Limerick, in 1740 and from this couple descend the Minchins of Woodville, who also had a property at Castle Kelly, county Kilkenny. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Humphrey Minchin held the townland of Woodville. The house and demesne of Woodville, the estate of the Reverend Henry Charles Minchin was advertised for sale in January 1869.
MacEgan The townland of Ballymacegan borders the River Shannon in the north of county Tipperary. The Macegans were granted lands in the parish of Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond, by the Duke of Ormond in the 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Darius John MacEgan, a solicitor and son of Barnaby MacEgan of Borrioskane, still held land in the parish of Uskane and in the parish of Dorrha. In December 1854 his estate of 238 acres at Court-hill and Eminiskey, parish of Uskane, was advertised for sale. The sale of one lot was adjourned and the second lot was purchased by John Julian. In 1852 Darius MacEgan bought Lot 2 of the Minchin's Greenhills estate the lands of Blean and Loughisle, barony of Upper Ormond, amounting to 712 acres (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm) Darius Joseph MacEgan (1856-1939), born in Roscrea, was an Irish artist.
Blackett The Blacketts were a Northumberland family with their seat at Wylam, Newcastle on Tyne. In 1852 Montague Blackett bought the Greenhills demesne, near Moneygall, county Tipperary, from the Minchin family (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm) In May 1852 Montague's brother Edward Algernon Blackett married Lucy daughter of the Reverend William Minchin of Greenhills. He purchased Lots 3 and 4 of the Greenhills estate for sale in 1852, 1194 acres in county Tipperary and 500 acres in King's County (Offaly). He also purchased parts of the Biggs estate in the same year. In the 1870s their son Edward Blackett of Wylam, Northumberland, owned 614 acres in county Tipperary and 491 acres in King's County (Offaly).
Bruce (Lesseragh) Major William Tyrrell Bruce of the 18th Royal Irish Regiment and of Lesseragh, Coolbaun, Borrisokane, county Tipperary, married Sophie Susan daughter of Captain John Barlow. Their son John Cecil married in 1895 his neighbour Georgina Louisa daughter of Falkiner John Minchin of Annagh House. In the 1870s Major Bruce is recorded as the owner of 808 acres in county Tipperary and 137 acres in county Westmeath. A language school is now located at Lesseragh House, see http://www.language-ireland.com/en/direct.html The townland of Lahesseragh borders the townland of Annagh and was in the possession of the Minchin family at the time of Griffith's Valuation.