Landed Estates
NUI Galway

MacEgan

The townland of Ballymacegan borders the River Shannon in the north of county Tipperary. The Macegans were granted lands in the parish of Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond, by the Duke of Ormond in the 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Darius John MacEgan, a solicitor and son of Barnaby MacEgan of Borrioskane, still held land in the parish of Uskane and in the parish of Dorrha. In December 1854 his estate of 238 acres at Court-hill and Eminiskey, parish of Uskane, was advertised for sale. The sale of one lot was adjourned and the second lot was purchased by John Julian. In 1852 Darius MacEgan bought Lot 2 of the Minchin's Greenhills estate the lands of Blean and Loughisle, barony of Upper Ormond, amounting to 712 acres (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm) Darius Joseph MacEgan (1856-1939), born in Roscrea, was an Irish artist.

Associated Families

No houses were found for this estate

Archival sources

  • Lease by the Earl of Ormonde to Constance Mc Egan of the lands of Uskian, Co. Tipperary, July 20, 1632. D. 3862 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Arms entry of Darby Egan, Councillor at law, son of John Egan of Uskean, son of Constance Egan of Killnelagh, son of Daniel Egan of Ballymacegan all in Co. Tipperary, July 28, 1715. Genealogical Office: Ms. 103, p.18 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Lease by the Earl of Ormonde to John Mc Egan of the lands of Kilogany, Co.Tipperary, Aug. 15, 1632. D.3866 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), MacEgan, 1 Dec 1854, Vol 32 (38), MRGS 39/014, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Modern printed sources