Landed Estates
NUI Galway

MacEgan


Estate(s)

Name Description
Minchin (Greenhills & Killacolla) ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that William Minchin, fifth son of Charles Minchin, bought Greenhills in 1703. In November 1851 the estate of his descendant the Reverend William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. It was comprised of 2,748 acres in the baronies of Eliogarty, Upper Ormond and Ikerrin, county Tipperary and 805 acres in King's County [county Offaly]. Montague Blackett bought the 332 acres of Greenhills (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm). Griffith's Valuation records the Reverend Minchin holding land in the parishes of Holycross, barony of Eliogarty, Borrisnafarney and Cullenwaine, barony of Ikerrin. The Reverend William Minchin was married to Mary Anne Corker Wright and their second son was Edward Corker Minchin who married Sarah Anne Hutchinson of Rockforest in 1848. After the sales of Greenhills and Rockforest members of this Minchin family emigrated to New Zealand and Australia. In June 1875 the 727 acre estate of the trustee of Charles Humphrey Minchin deceased at Killacolla, parish of Kilfergus, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, was advertised for sale. The sale included several fisheries in the River Shannon. The rental records that this estate had been purchased by Charles H. Minchin in the Encumbered Estates' Court from Richard Quin Sleeman. It includes notes re the bidding and that the property was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne for £11,000. Lieutenant Charles Humphrey Minchin was the third son of William Minchin of Greenhills, county Tipperary. In 1817 he married Amelia Wright of Rutland, King's County (county Offaly) and they had a number of children.
MacEgan The townland of Ballymacegan borders the River Shannon in the north of county Tipperary. The Macegans were granted lands in the parish of Uskane, barony of Lower Ormond, by the Duke of Ormond in the 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Darius John MacEgan, a solicitor and son of Barnaby MacEgan of Borrioskane, still held land in the parish of Uskane and in the parish of Dorrha. In December 1854 his estate of 238 acres at Court-hill and Eminiskey, parish of Uskane, was advertised for sale. The sale of one lot was adjourned and the second lot was purchased by John Julian. In 1852 Darius MacEgan bought Lot 2 of the Minchin's Greenhills estate the lands of Blean and Loughisle, barony of Upper Ormond, amounting to 712 acres (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm) Darius Joseph MacEgan (1856-1939), born in Roscrea, was an Irish artist.