James Henry Ryan lived for a time in the house Murroogh, parish of Oranmore, on the outskirts of Galway town which he leased from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith schools and appears to have bought up lands for sale in the barony of Moycullen. He advertised for sale the lands of Clooniff in the parish and barony of Moycullen, county Galway in 1868. The bidding was adjourned, having only reached £5000. This townland was previously part of the estate of the Gregorys of Coole Park. In July 1871 James Henry Ryan advertised for sale a further 2179 acres in the barony of Moycullen. These lands were in the hands of John and Thomas Johnston at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In June 1874 the house and lands of Murroogh and land at Aubwee in the barony of Moycullen were advertised for sale. Aubwee was previously part of the Law Life Assurance Society estate. James Ryan of Ashbrook, barony of Kilconnell, who owned 880 acres in county Galway in the 1870s may possibly be the same person. At the same time Mary Ryan and Anne Ryan, both of Loughrea, owned 938 and 717 acres respectively.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Murroogh House||Murroogh||Oranmore||Galway||Galway Rural 41||Galway||Galway||
OSI Ref: M332 248
OS Sheet: 94
Discovery map: 46
OSI Ref: M690267
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 46
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ryan, 12 May 1868, Vol 89, MRGS 39/043, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ryan, 12 June 1874, Vol 115, MRGS 39/052, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Ryan, 4 July 1871, Vol 103, MRGS 39/048, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
Modern printed sources
- SHEERIN, Norbert. ''Renmore and its environs: An Historical Perspective''. Galway: Renmore Residents Association, 2000: 58-60
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sale reports, 13 May 1868, p.4.