Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gregory


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gregory The Coole estate was purchased by Robert Gregory from the Martyns of Tullira in 1768 on his return from India and remained in the Gregory family until 1927. The Kinvara estate was purchased from the Frenches of Duras in 1769. In 1824 Richard Gregory is listed as a resident proprietor. Townlands in the parish of Kilcolgan are recorded as part of the Gregory estate in the 1830s. The agent for this estate was G. Crippage, Galway. A substantial portion of the Gregory estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in the 1850s, including a townland in the parish and barony of Moycullen bought by James Henry Ryan and other substantial portions by Henry Comerford and Henry Hodgson. William Gregory was the owner of over 5000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 Walter R. Gregory held about 200 acres of untenanted demesne lands and a mansion house valued at £60 at Coole. An offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board for over 3200 acres of tenanted land of the estate after 1909. In June 1927 the ''Tuam Herald'' reported that the Land Commission had taken over the estate of Lady Margaret Gregory at Coole.
Comerford In 1845 Henry Comerford, a merchant of Galway, offered £40,000 for the O'Neill estate at Bunowen, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway but his offer was refused, see sale rental for that estate 1852. Henry Comerford was leasing the house and demesne at Doorus to Count de Bastertot in 1855. At the same time he was leasing a subtantial property in the townland of Rineen to Daniel O'Dea which included a mill. Henry Comerford also held 5 townlands in the parish of Kilcummin and 2 townlands in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen and the townland of Dawros, parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Clare. Pádraig G. Lane writes that he paid over £35,000 for 4,440 acres of land in county Galway in the 1850s, including over a thousand acres from Sir William Gregory at Kinvara and the de Basterot property at Doorus. Griffith's Valuation also records Henry Comerford holding lands in the parishes of Drumcreehy and Kilfenora, barony of Burren, county Clare. Comerford lived in Galway and died in 1861. Lane writes that his property passed to his sons in law. An Isaac Comerford owned 444 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The ''Return of Proprietors'' published in 1876 records the representatives of Henry Comerford as holding over 2000 acres in county Galway.
Ryan (Murroogh) James Henry Ryan lived for a time in the house Murroogh, parish of Oranmore, on the outskirts of Galway town which he leased from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith schools and appears to have bought up lands for sale in the barony of Moycullen. He advertised for sale the lands of Clooniff in the parish and barony of Moycullen, county Galway in 1868. The bidding was adjourned, having only reached £5000. This townland was previously part of the estate of the Gregorys of Coole Park. In July 1871 James Henry Ryan advertised for sale a further 2179 acres in the barony of Moycullen. These lands were in the hands of John and Thomas Johnston at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In June 1874 the house and lands of Murroogh and land at Aubwee in the barony of Moycullen were advertised for sale. Aubwee was previously part of the Law Life Assurance Society estate. James Ryan of Ashbrook, barony of Kilconnell, who owned 880 acres in county Galway in the 1870s may possibly be the same person. At the same time Mary Ryan and Anne Ryan, both of Loughrea, owned 938 and 717 acres respectively.