Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ryan (Murroogh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gregory The Coole estate was purchased by Robert Gregory from the Martyns of Tullira in 1768 on his return from India and remained in the Gregory family until 1927. The Kinvara estate was purchased from the Frenches of Duras in 1769. In 1824 Richard Gregory is listed as a resident proprietor. Townlands in the parish of Kilcolgan are recorded as part of the Gregory estate in the 1830s. The agent for this estate was G. Crippage, Galway. A substantial portion of the Gregory estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in the 1850s, including a townland in the parish and barony of Moycullen bought by James Henry Ryan and other substantial portions by Henry Comerford and Henry Hodgson. William Gregory was the owner of over 5000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 Walter R. Gregory held about 200 acres of untenanted demesne lands and a mansion house valued at £60 at Coole. An offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board for over 3200 acres of tenanted land of the estate after 1909. In June 1927 the ''Tuam Herald'' reported that the Land Commission had taken over the estate of Lady Margaret Gregory at Coole.
Johnston (Killannin) John and Thomas Johnston held 4 townlands and islands in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This estate was sold by James Henry Ryan in 1871. Possibly connected with the Johnstons of Friarstown.
Ryan (Murroogh) James Henry Ryan lived for a time in the house Murroogh, parish of Oranmore, on the outskirts of Galway town which he leased from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith schools and appears to have bought up lands for sale in the barony of Moycullen. He advertised for sale the lands of Clooniff in the parish and barony of Moycullen, county Galway in 1868. The bidding was adjourned, having only reached £5000. This townland was previously part of the estate of the Gregorys of Coole Park. In July 1871 James Henry Ryan advertised for sale a further 2179 acres in the barony of Moycullen. These lands were in the hands of John and Thomas Johnston at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In June 1874 the house and lands of Murroogh and land at Aubwee in the barony of Moycullen were advertised for sale. Aubwee was previously part of the Law Life Assurance Society estate. James Ryan of Ashbrook, barony of Kilconnell, who owned 880 acres in county Galway in the 1870s may possibly be the same person. At the same time Mary Ryan and Anne Ryan, both of Loughrea, owned 938 and 717 acres respectively.
Ryan (Kilconnell) In the 1870s Ashbrook House, Loughrea, in the parish of Killaan, barony of Kilconnell, is recorded as the residence of James Ryan. The Ryan estate amounted to over 800 acres at that time. Mary Ryan and Anne Ryan, with Loughrea as their address, owned 938 and 717 acres in county Galway and may be possible connections. The Loughrea Ryans and James Henry Ryan of Murroogh House, Galway, may possibly be connected.
Guilfoyle (Galway) In the 1870s Edward Guilfoyle of Galway is recorded as owning 2,176 acres in the parish of Killannin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway.