The Lawrence family are first recorded in east Galway in the late 16th century. A John Lawrence married a daughter of one of the O'Maddens and later acquired property at Ballymore. The Lawrence family were dispossessed of this property under the Cromwellians but were later granted Belview or Lissareaghan in 1677. In 1851 Walter Lawrence advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court approximately 4000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Clare and Longford, county Galway and 311 acres in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. Patrick Nolan purchased Lawrencetown and substantial portions of the estate in the Milltown area but sale of other lots were adjourned and some of the lands were not sold until 1852. Dominick O'Flaherty bought the Shrule portion. The Lawrences still owned about 2000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s and occupied the mansion into the twentieth century. By the 1920s most of the land had been sold to the tenants and the house was demolished. See http://www.lawrencetown.com/lawrences.htm for more on the Lawrences. Also see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/big-houses-of-ireland/lawrence-family-album/index.xml
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Bellevue/Lisreaghan||Belview or Lissareaghan||Kiltormer||Ballinasloe||Laurencetown 19||Longford||Galway||
OSI Ref: M865203
OS Sheet: 99, 100
Discovery map: 47
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Lawrence, 28 Nov 1851 & 12 Nov 1852, Vols 12 & 19, MRGS 39/005 & 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Lawrence of Belview, conveyance, 1818. GSO1/6; Galway County Council Archives
- Lawrence of Lawrencetown, photo album, 1882? GSO1/1; Galway County Council Archives
- Encumbered Estates Court Rental, Lawrence, 12 Nov 1852, Cos Mayo & Galway. Photocopy; Galway County Library
- Lisreaghan or Belview. Photographs & Press Cuttings. 022/056.; Irish Architectural Archive
- Anon. Pedigree of the Lawrence family of county Galway from the twelfth to the nineteenth century. Ms 219; Representative Church Body Library
- Lawrence Papers, 1826 – 1930, GP1, a small collection which primarily consists of private and business letters. The collection also includes some Golding Letters, Shrule, Co. Mayo, 1916. ; Galway County Council Archives
- Genealogical memorandum on family of Lawrence of Lisreaghan, 1884. M.4887-4888; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol.II, 216.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballinasloe Union, 117.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 261.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 309 (Belview/Lissareaghan)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 243
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 419 (Belle-view)
Modern printed sources
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 38, 187-188.
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 387.
- MARSDEN, Simon & McLAREN, Duncan. . ''In ruins: the once great houses of Ireland''. Boston: Little Brown & Co, 1997. : 48-49.
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 74
- DOWNEY, J. ''The Lawrence family, past and present''. Ballinasloe: [the author], 1995: All
- DOWNEY, J. ''The Lawrence family, past and present''. Ballinasloe: [the author], 1995: EGAN, P.K. Lawrence of Lawrencetown.
- MADDEN, Gerard. ''History of the O'Maddens of Hy-many''. Tuamgraney, county Clare: East Clare Heritage, 2004.: 65-68.
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Encumbered Estates Court sale reports, 29 November 1851, p.4.
- DEAN, J.A.K. ''The gate lodges of Connaught: a gazetteer.'' Dublin ; Wordwell, 2019. : p. 20 (Lawrencetown)