Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bellevue/Lisreaghan

Estate(s)
Townland Belview or Lissareaghan
Civil Parish Kiltormer
PLU Ballinasloe
DED Laurencetown 19
County Galway
Barony Longford
Description Belview was the main seat of the Laurence family in east Galway. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "Belle-view" as the seat of Mr. Lawrence "with beautiful plantations". In the 1850s it was valued at £42 and was occupied by Walter Laurence jun. In 1906 it was the property of Rev. Charles Lawrence. It is no longer extant but a famous gateway, erected in support of the Volunteers of 1782, is still visible.
Belview Gateway
Lisreaghan (Photograph courtesy of Dr. Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca)

Property Location