Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McDonnell (Breandrum)

Records in the Westport Estate Papers document the McDonnells' possession of the lands of Breandrum and others in the barony of Carra, county of Mayo, in the 18th century. In 1854 the 3rd Marquess of Sligo sold Breandrum and other lands in the barony of Carra to Colonel James McAlpine. In 1855 James Malley, assignee of Francis Crosbie McDonnell, an insolvent, sold 455 acres in the parish of Turlough to Lyons Carney. The original lease, dated 1758, was from George FitzGerald of Rockfield to Alexander McDonnell of Castlebar, ancestor of F.C.McDonnell. The McDonnell interest in a similar lease was sold by the widow of William Malley in 1864. In 1878 the same lands, Toormore East and West, were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by Patrick Rowan. They were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in June 1890, again by members of the Rowan family. The Irish Times reported that the lots were not sold.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Windsor House Breandrum Breaghwy Castlebar Turlough 69 Carra Mayo OSI Ref: M185920
OS Sheet: 79
Discovery map: 31

Archival sources

  • Westport Estate Papers, Collection List 78; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Malley, 17 May 1855, Vol 34, MRGS 39/016, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Malley, 31 May 1864, Vol 72, MRGS 39/036, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Rowan, 3 May 1878, Vol 132, MRGS 39/059, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources

  • ''Irish Times'': Advertisement for sale in Land Judges' Court of Toormore by Rowan family, published 5 May 1890, p.1. Land Judges' Court sale reports, 7 June 1890, p.8.
  • ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 22 June 1855, p.4