A family transplanted from county Kilkenny to county Mayo in the 17th century. George Robert FitzGerald known as 'Fighting FitzGerald' is their most well known member.
|Clendining||A family employed as agents and receivers on many county Mayo estates in the first half of the 19th century, including those of the Marquess of Sligo, Lord Oranmore and Browne and the FitzGeralds of Turlough. They were also involved in banking. In 1854 they sold 1372 acres in the parish of Kilcolman, barony of Clanmorris in the Encumbered Estates' Court, with their interest in the lease of Thomastown in the barony of Carra. In 1857 Alexander Clendining advertised for sale the rental of the lands [158 acres] of Ballyglass North, parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, which he held in fee simple.|
|FitzGerald (Turlough)||This family from Gorteens in county Kilkenny was transplanted to county Mayo under the Cromwellian settlement. Under the Acts of Settlement they were confirmed in their possession of some of the estates of Walter Bourke of Turlough, barony of Carra. By patent dated 30 May 1677 John Fitzgerald received 2,494 acres in the barony of Carra. The first generation settled at Moyhenna in the parish of Kildacommoge but by the second decade of the 18th century they were resident at Rockfield in the parish of Turlough. The FitzGerald estate was mainly situated within the boundaries of these two parishes. The FitzGeralds lived in England in the pre-Famine years of the 19th century and Alexander Clendining acted as their agent. In 1876 Charles Lionel FitzGerald owned 8,359 acres in county Mayo. On 31 Mar 1915 the estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board. The family repurchased 375 acres, most of which was sold in the 1950s.|
|Semple||In the 19th century the Semples held a small leasehold estate in the parish of Turlough, barony of Carra, county Mayo, from the FitzGeralds of Turlough.|
|McDonnell (Breandrum)||Records in the Westport Estate Papers document the McDonnells' possession of the lands of Breandrum and others in the barony of Carra, county of Mayo, in the 18th century. In 1854 the 3rd Marquess of Sligo sold Breandrum and other lands in the barony of Carra to Colonel James McAlpine. In 1855 James Malley, assignee of Francis Crosbie McDonnell, an insolvent, sold 455 acres in the parish of Turlough to Lyons Carney. The original lease, dated 1758, was from George FitzGerald of Rockfield to Alexander McDonnell of Castlebar, ancestor of F.C.McDonnell. The McDonnell interest in a similar lease was sold by the widow of William Malley in 1864. In 1878 the same lands, Toormore East and West, were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by Patrick Rowan. They were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in June 1890, again by members of the Rowan family. The Irish Times reported that the lots were not sold.|