Landed Estates
NUI Galway


Daniel Grace writes that the Woodward family lived at Cloghprior from the 1660s. Cloghprior House was bulit by William Woodward in the mid 18th century. However by the mid 1770s the Woodwards were in financial difficulties and land was sold to James Otway who built Prior Park on it. In 1844 Cloghprior was sold to Edwin Cuthbert. In the late 1850s Frank Woodward leased Prospect House from Maurice Studdert of Lodge and his daughters continued to live there until the 1940s.


Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Prospect Prospect East Cloghprior Nenagh Knigh 86 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R861 875
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 59
Cloghprior House Cloghprior Cloghprior Borrisokane Cloghprior 8 Lower Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R859 890
OS Sheet: 9
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • W.B. Scott, solicitor's collection, includes documents re the Woodward estate in Co Tipperary, mainly 18th century. Small Accs. Index 76; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources