Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dalton (Grenanstown)

In 1666 Peter Dalton, gentleman, was granted 2,476 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, including waste mountain in the parish of Dollow. Edward Dalton was created a Count of the Holy Roman Empire by the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria on 25 April 1777. He was married to Mary, daughter of John MacCarthy of Springhouse, county Tipperary. Their eldest son, Peter Count Dalton, resided at Grenanstown, county Tipperary. In 1796 Peter married Rosalia, daughter of Nicholas Barnewall, Baron Trimblestown, and they had two sons, Edward and Nicholas, and a daughter, Henrietta, who married Henry Eustace. Their son Henry succeeded his maternal uncle in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century Count Dalton held land in the parishes of Ballymackey, Ballynaclogh, Dolla and Kilkeary, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Count Dalton owned 1,375 acres in county Tipperary.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Grenanstown Grenanstown Ballymackey Nenagh Kilkeary 110 Upper Ormond Tipperary OSI Ref: R943 760
OS Sheet: 21
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Maria MacCarthy, wife of Edward Dalton, c.1650 -- 1772. Genealogical Office: Ms.161, pp.86-8 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Typescript copies of poems and letters by Richard D'Alton Williams, 1838-1841. Originals held in St Patrick's College, Carlow. Microfilm P 7115 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Dalton, previously Daton of Kilmadaly, Co. Kilkenny, of Grenanstown and Knockelly, Co. Tipperary, c.1550 - c.1830. Genealogical Office: Ms.170, pp.145-9 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources