Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dalton

Family title

Count


Estate(s)

Name Description
Dalton (Grenanstown) In 1666 Peter Dalton, gentleman, was granted 2,476 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, including waste mountain in the parish of Dollow. Edward Dalton was created a Count of the Holy Roman Empire by the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria on 25 April 1777. He was married to Mary, daughter of John MacCarthy of Springhouse, county Tipperary. Their eldest son, Peter Count Dalton, resided at Grenanstown, county Tipperary. In 1796 Peter married Rosalia, daughter of Nicholas Barnewall, Baron Trimblestown, and they had two sons, Edward and Nicholas, and a daughter, Henrietta, who married Henry Eustace. Their son Henry succeeded his maternal uncle in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century Count Dalton held land in the parishes of Ballymackey, Ballynaclogh, Dolla and Kilkeary, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Count Dalton owned 1,375 acres in county Tipperary.