Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Eustace


Estate(s)

Name Description
Stannard In the early 18th century the Stannards were located in counties Limerick and Cork. They were related to the Eaton/Easton, Travers and Aldworth families. Wills in the National Archives connect this family with Ballyhooly and Stannards Grove, barony of Fermoy [and Stannards Grove, Blackrock,] county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Stannard held land in the parish of Killathy, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In March 1853 his estate in the barony of Fermoy amounting to 1,233 acres was advertised for sale. Mrs Mary Campion was the tenant of 831 acres. A note on the sale rental records the purchase of Lot 2 Lisnagourneen by John Smith in 1853. In the 1870s the representatives of Edward Stannard owned 150 acres and Edward Stannards of Wexford owned 163 acres in county Cork. Grove White notes under Ballydoyle, parish of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, that this townland originally belonged to the Stannard family and passed to the Eustace family by the marriage in 1800 of Reverend Charles Eustace of Robertstown, county Kildare and Cassandra, daughter and co heir of John Stannard of Ballydoyle, county Cork. Another branch of this family lived in county Kilkenny. Robert R. Stannard of The Grange, Ballyragget, Kilkenny, owned 1,024 acres in county Tipperary and 1,395 acres in county Kilkenny in the 1870s. This family had family connections with the McAdams of county Clare through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of John Lannigan Stannard, with Philip MacAdam of Blackwater in 1825.
Eustace At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Stannard Eustace held land in the parishes of Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, and Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In 1800 Reverend Charles Eustace of Robertstown, county Kildare married Cassandra, daughter and co-heir of John Stannard of Ballydoyle, county Cork and the Eustaces came to possess their county Cork estate by this marriage. In the 1870s Charles Stannard Eustace of London owned 995 acres in county Cork, 1,406 acres in county Kildare, 1,036 acres in county Westmeath and 501 acres in King's County (Offaly). General Henry Eustace was a brother of Reverend Charles Eustace. The General married Henrietta, daughter of Peter Count Dalton. The representatives of Henry Eustace held 440 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Grenanstown in 1906.
Dalton (Grenanstown) In 1666 Peter Dalton, gentleman, was granted 2,476 acres in the barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, including waste mountain in the parish of Dollow. Edward Dalton was created a Count of the Holy Roman Empire by the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria on 25 April 1777. He was married to Mary, daughter of John MacCarthy of Springhouse, county Tipperary. Their eldest son, Peter Count Dalton, resided at Grenanstown, county Tipperary. In 1796 Peter married Rosalia, daughter of Nicholas Barnewall, Baron Trimblestown, and they had two sons, Edward and Nicholas, and a daughter, Henrietta, who married Henry Eustace. Their son Henry succeeded his maternal uncle in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century Count Dalton held land in the parishes of Ballymackey, Ballynaclogh, Dolla and Kilkeary, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Count Dalton owned 1,375 acres in county Tipperary.