Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lane (Lanespark)

In 1666 William Lane was granted the lands of Killens [Lanespark], Derrigear and Cattiganstowne in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. John Hamilton Lane of Lanespark, county Tipperary, married Jane Hunt and died in 1807 leaving nine children. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of John Lane held at least 3 townlands in the parish of Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. The Lanespark estate, amounting to 2,859 acres was advertised for sale in June 1858. The petitioners were Thomas and John Eyre, continued in the names of the trustees of the Irish Land Company. The 849 acres of Killeens was reoffered for sale in November 1859.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Lanespark Lanespark Killenaule Cashel Killenaule 48 Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S222 504
OS Sheet: 48
Discovery map: 67

Archival sources

  • Collection of Papers of Hunt and De Vere Family of Currahchase,county Limerick, contains some correspondence of the Lane family, 1802-1816. P22 ; Limerick City Archives
  • Detailed abstracts of wills of Lane of Cathaganstown and Killeens or Lanespark, Co. Tipperary, 1672 -- 1724. Genealogical Office: Ms.142, pp.84-5 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Pedigree of Lane of Cork City, of Laragh in parish of Kilbrogan, of Kilmean in Barony of Kinalmeaky and Ballylarkin, of Dromagh, all in Co. Cork and of Killeens or Lanes Park and of Lanesborough, Co. Tipperary, 1660 -- c.1820. Genealogical Office: Ms.143, pp.71-4 & 87-90 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lane, 15 June 1858, Vol 52 (25), MRGS 39/025, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Lane, 8 Nov 1859, Vol 57 (13), MRGS 39/028, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Deed between (1) John Lane, of Lanespark, Co. Tipperary, (2) John Lane, of Dublin, and (3) John Clancy, of Dublin, re lands at Lanespark and other townlands in the barony of Slievardagh, Co. Tipperary, 1808 Feb. 11. MS 36,195/4 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources