Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Irish Land Company


Estate(s)

Name Description
King (Kingston/Lorton) The King estate was one of the largest in Connacht including lands in Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo as well as the main estate in County Roscommon. In 1667 Lord Kingston was granted over 23,000 acres in Connacht and over 14,000 acres in Munster and other very large estates particularly in counties Cork and Tipperary in 1669. Most of the King's Munster estate was in County Cork and through marriage with the Harman family they also acquired lands in County Longford. The family name became at various times King-Harman, Harman-King-Harman and Stafford-King-Harman. In 1703 lands at Ardcarne were conveyed to Neave Coghill. At the same time Sir Robert King sold lands to George Gore. The estate was centred around Boyle in County Roscommon, firstly at King House and later at Rockingham. In 1828 Robert King was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. In the mid 19th century the county Limerick estate of the the Earl of Kingston was in the barony of Coshlea, mainly in the parishes of Ballylanders (thirteen townlands) and Kilbeheny (21 townlands) but he also held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Effin. Almost 21,000 acres in the parishes of Ballylanders and Kilbeheny, county Limerick, 18,180 acres in county Tipperary and 3,951 acres of the Araglin estate in county Cork, belonging to Lord Kingston, were advertised for sale in June and July 1851. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers in both 1851 and 1852. Griffith's Valuation records the Earl of Kingston holding land in various parishes in the baronies of Fermoy and Condons and Clangibbon, county Cork. The vast bulk of his estate around Mitchelstown was in the parishes of Brigown, Kildorrery, Kilgullane, Marshalstown, Macroney and Templemolaga, barony of Condons and Clangibbon. The county Tipperary estate was comprised of the parish of Templetenny, barony of Iffa and Offa West. It was advertised for sale in July 1851 and mainly purchased by the Irish Land Company and Edward Sandiford Power. Part of the settled estates of Lord Kingston, over 26,000 acres in county Cork and 250 acres in county Limerick were advertised for sale in February 1855. The settled estates were advertised in 3 divisions, the first was comprised of lots north west of Mitchestown, the second division was located south east of Mitchelstown and the third was a tract of 9,000 acres of land in the barony of Duhallow on which Lord Lismore paid the head rent. Over 7,000 acres of the settled estates in the baronies of Condons and Clangibbon and Fermoy were to be auctioned on 5 June 1855. In the 1870s the Kingston estates in counties Limerick and Tipperary were only 250 and 211 acres while the county Cork estate amounted to 24,421 acres.
Irish Land Company In 1852 John Brogden of Manchester, with his brother James, set up the Irish Land Company. Another founder was John Sadlier (who committed suicide in 1856), brother of James Sadlier of Tipperary of the Joint Stock Bank. The company purchased some of the Galtee estate from the Earl of Kingston in 1852. Griffith's Valuation (1852) records the Irish Land Company holding six townlands in the parish of Templetenny. The Trustees of Irish Land Company in November 1859 were John Brogden, Nathaniel Buckley and George Wilson ( see rental for sale, John Lane, 8 Nov 1859). In the early 1870s the Galtee estate was bought by one of the company's directors, Nathaniel Buckley, Manchester, cotton millionarire and MP.
Lane (Lanespark) In 1666 William Lane was granted the lands of Killens [Lanespark], Derrigear and Cattiganstowne in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. John Hamilton Lane of Lanespark, county Tipperary, married Jane Hunt and died in 1807 leaving nine children. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of John Lane held at least 3 townlands in the parish of Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. The Lanespark estate, amounting to 2,859 acres was advertised for sale in June 1858. The petitioners were Thomas and John Eyre, continued in the names of the trustees of the Irish Land Company. The 849 acres of Killeens was reoffered for sale in November 1859.