Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Despard

The Despards were resident at Killaghy Castle, county Tipperary, from the early 18th century. In the 1830s the estate passed to the related family of Wright. William Wright assumed the name of Despard in 1838. In the mid 19th century William Despard was leasing lands in the parishes of Isertkieran and Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, from Sir Riggs Falkiner. The Killaghy estate (845 acres) was advertised for sale in February 1851. Only one lot appears to have sold and Ballyvadlea and the castle and demesne of Killaghy were again put up for sale in June 1860. In the 1870s William and Richard Despard owned lands in Queen's County (Laois).

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Killaghy Killaghy Kilvemnon Callan Mullinahone Slievardagh Tipperary OSI Ref: S330 406
OS Sheet: 63
Discovery map: 67

Archival sources

  • Abstract of deed being Articles of transfer of lands at Bantry from William Despard of Killaghy, Co. Tipperary, to Richard White of Whiddy Island and concerning Hugh Hutchinson of Blackrock, Cork, Henry Galway of Bantry and John Nagle of Bantry, 1717. Genealogical Office: Ms.144, p.31 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Papers relating to the property of the Despard family at Killaghy, Co. Tipperary and Castletown, Co. Offaly, including marriage settlement of F. G. Despard and Elizabeth Marshall, March 2, 1746 (1747?). M.5485 ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of a grant of arms to William Wright of Killoghty Castle, Co. Tipperary on his assuming under Royal Licence and in accordance with the desire of his wife's brother, John Despard of Killoghty Castle, the name and arms of Despard, June 18, 1838. Genealogical Office: Ms.107, pp.136-7 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of royal licence to William Wright of Killaghy Castle, Co. Tipperary, to take the name and arms of Despard, June 4, 1838. Genealogical Office: Ms.151, pp, 360-2 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Results of search by Tenison Groves on the Wright, Harkness, Twigg, Sanderson, Mc Cullock, Despard, King and Caldwell families in the Public Record office, and Registry of Deeds, Dublin, prior to 1922. T/1109 ; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Short abstract of deed of 4 Nov., 1712, from John Davis of Dublin and Hugh Hutchins of Blackrock, Co. Cork Esq., Richard White of Widdy Island and John Despard of Glangarm, gents., granting the town and lands of Bantry, Carrigeen als. Blackrock, Killnarone, Dromlaffe, Rinedesert, etc., 1712. Genealogical Office: Ms.144, p.2 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Despard, 21 Feb 1851, Vol 5 (58), MRGS 39/002, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Crawford & Despard, 29 June 1860, Vol 59 (60), MRGS 39/030, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Andrews & Despard, (Finane), 4 July 1862, Vol 66 (19), MRGS 39/033, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources