Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Despard


Estate(s)

Name Description
Despard The Despards were resident at Killaghy Castle, county Tipperary, from the early 18th century. In the 1830s the estate passed to the related family of Wright. William Wright assumed the name of Despard in 1838. In the mid 19th century William Despard was leasing lands in the parishes of Isertkieran and Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, from Sir Riggs Falkiner. The Killaghy estate (845 acres) was advertised for sale in February 1851. Only one lot appears to have sold and Ballyvadlea and the castle and demesne of Killaghy were again put up for sale in June 1860. In the 1870s William and Richard Despard owned lands in Queen's County (Laois).
Wright (Co Tipperary) The ancestor of this family settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century and a junior branch moved to county Cork. John Wright of Cloneen married Sarah Markham of county Kilkenny. He died in 1766 having disinherited both his sons, John and Abbe Bernard of Paris, for becoming Catholics. In 1761 John junior married Catherine Shee who eventually succeeded to the Shee of Cloran, county Tipperary estate. They had three sons Bernard of Clonmel, Richard of Fethard and John of Compsey Cottage. Griffith's Valuation records Richard Wright holding land in the parish of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh. In November 1861, property owned by John Bernard Wright in the baronies of Glenahiry, county Waterford and Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. It was sold to Messers. Toole and Findlater [in trust].