Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wright (Co Tipperary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wright (Co Cork) In 1666 Willliam Wright was granted 839 acres in the barony of East Carbery, county Cork. The estate expanded over time but over 1400 acres was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in February 1860. This sale included lands in the baronies of West Muskerry and West Carbery as well as Lurriga Mill. Over 700 acres, the property of Samuel Digby Wright and Henry Wilson Wright (deceased) as well as interest in Lurriga Mill, were offered for sale in the Court in October 1874. In the 1870s Digby Wright of Bandon owned 715 acres, Henry Wright of Cashefane, Durrus, and Thomas R. Wright of Clonakilty owned 1,257 acres in county Cork. The representatives of Rev. Richard Wright held over 800 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Despard The Despards were resident at Killaghy Castle, county Tipperary, from the early 18th century. In the 1830s the estate passed to the related family of Wright. William Wright assumed the name of Despard in 1838. In the mid 19th century William Despard was leasing lands in the parishes of Isertkieran and Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, from Sir Riggs Falkiner. The Killaghy estate (845 acres) was advertised for sale in February 1851. Only one lot appears to have sold and Ballyvadlea and the castle and demesne of Killaghy were again put up for sale in June 1860. In the 1870s William and Richard Despard owned lands in Queen's County (Laois).
Wright (Co Tipperary) The ancestor of this family settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century and a junior branch moved to county Cork. John Wright of Cloneen married Sarah Markham of county Kilkenny. He died in 1766 having disinherited both his sons, John and Abbe Bernard of Paris, for becoming Catholics. In 1761 John junior married Catherine Shee who eventually succeeded to the Shee of Cloran, county Tipperary estate. They had three sons Bernard of Clonmel, Richard of Fethard and John of Compsey Cottage. Griffith's Valuation records Richard Wright holding land in the parish of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh. In November 1861, property owned by John Bernard Wright in the baronies of Glenahiry, county Waterford and Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. It was sold to Messers. Toole and Findlater [in trust].
Shee/O'Shee This family descend from Sir Richard Shee of Uppercourt, county Kilkenny and Cloran, county Tipperary, agent to the Earl of Ormonde. Sir Richard died in 1608. Richard Shee of Cloran married Elizabeth Grace of Gracefield, county Tipperary and died in 1743. His son Edmond sold Cloran and died in 1785. Edmond's sister Catherine married John Wright and it was their children who became the representatives of the Shees of Cloran in the 19th century. The townlands of Cloran Old and New, parish of Cloneen, barony of Middlethird, were in the possession of the Earl of Clare at the time of Griffith's Valuation.