Greene (Cos Tipperary & Waterford)
Godfrey Greene was granted 541 acres at Mooretown-Keating, Knocknangle and Rathmore, barony of Iffa and Offa, county Tipperary, in 1678, to hold for the use of his children John, Mary, Godfrey and Francis Greene by his deceased wife, Frances, daughter of Robert Cox of Bruff, county Limerick. This extensive family had many branches in the 18th and 19th centuries, including those of Old Abbey, county Limerick, Kilmanahan, county Waterford, Greenville, county Kilkenny and Kilkea Lodge, county Kildare. The Waterford estate consisted of land forfeited by the Gough family and it appears that a Godfrey Greene married one of this family as his second wife. Sadleir refers to a Michael Green of Kilnamack, married to a Miss Bunbury in 1775. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Greene of Greenville, county Kilkenny, held land in the parishes of Caher and Inishlounaght, barony of Iffa and Offa East (including Moorstown), Baptistgrange and Kiltinan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, Inishlounaght and Kilronan, barony of Glenahiry and Modeligo, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. Other family members held land in the parishes of Killaloon and Garrangibbon, county Tipperary.The Glenahiry estate was eventually sold in the Encumbered Estates Court following extravagent expenditure on the conversion of Kilmanahan Castle. The Freeman's Journal reported in December 1852 that David Mahony had purchased some lots in trust. In May 1855 lands which were part of the estate of John Greene M.P. [for county Kilkenny 1847-1865] in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny were advertised for sale. John Greene M.P. lived at Greenville. Some lots were purchased by Mr. Grubb and the sale of other lots was adjourned. Lands in the parish of Kilgobnet, barony of Decies-without-Drum, the property of John Green and others, were offered for sale in November 1857 and July 1859. This land was originally leased by the Walsh estate of Prospect Hall, county Waterford, in the eighteenth century. In the 1870s Mrs Margaret Green of Shannon View, Limerick, owned 1,074 acres in county Tipperary.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Shannon View||Newcastle||Kilmurry||Limerick||Ballysimon 45||Clanwilliam||Limerick||
OSI Ref: R615 575
OS Sheet: 5
Discovery map: 65
|Lota House||Lotamore||Rathcooney||Cork||Rathcooney 110||Cork||Cork||
OSI Ref: W725 728
OS Sheet: 74
Discovery map: 87
|Greenmount (Molough)||Greenmount||Molough||Clogheen||Tullaghmelan 63||Iffa and Offa West||Tipperary||
OSI Ref: S139 157
OS Sheet: 88
Discovery map: 74
|Powerstown||Powerstown Demesne||St Marys Clonmel||Clonmel||Clonmel Rural 73||Iffa and Offa East||Tipperary||
OSI Ref: S217 235
OS Sheet: 83
Discovery map: 75
|Kilnamack||Kilonamack West||Inishounaght||Clonmel||Kilmacomma 15||Glenahiry||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S152208
OS Sheet: 1
Discovery map: 74
|Kilmanahan Castle||Kilmanahan||Kilronan||Clonmel||Kilmacomma 15||Glenahiry||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S142192
OS Sheet: 1
Discovery map: 74
- S. Gordon & Son, solicitor's collection, includes papers relating to the property of the Greene family in Dublin City, Clonmel and Co. Tipperary, with associated names, Bateman, Croker, Cooke and Carew, 1790-1877. Small Accs. Index 103, D. 17,283-302: T. 7112-14 ; National Archives of Ireland
- Copy of confirmation of arms to the descendants of John Greene of Millbrooke, son of William Nassau Greene, and to his great grandson, Thomas Greene of Millbrooke and Hallahoise, Co. Kildare, with descent from Godfrey Greene to whom were granted July 23, 1669 the lands of Ballynemony also Moorestown Keating in Co. Tipperary, May 19, 1896. Genealogical Office: Ms. 110, pp. 197-8 ; National Library of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Greene, 22 May 1855, Vol 34 (72), 18 Dec 1855, Vol 37 (46) & 3 Nov 1857, Vol 48 (5), MRGS 39/016, 39/018 & 39/023, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Greene, 9 July 1852, Vol 17, MRGS 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Greene, 7 December 1852, Vol 19, MRGS 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Green, 6 November 1857, Vol 48, MRGS 39/023, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Green, 7 July 1859, Vol 36, MRGS 39/028, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Iffa and Offa East, 142 (Powerstown Demesne)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 321 (Power's-town)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 163
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 191
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Glenahiry: 6 (Kilnamack West), 15 (Kilmanahan)
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol.II, 203, (Kilronan Parish)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 258
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 127 (Kilmanahan & Kilnamack)
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 224 (Kilnamack), 245 (Kilmanahan)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Tipperary: Vol.II, Parish of Caher, p.132.
Modern printed sources
- MONTGOMERY-MASSINGBERD, Hugh (ed). ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. London: Burke's Peerage, 1976: 493-497
- NOLAN, W, POWER, T.P. & COWMAN, D. (eds). ''Waterford: History and Society''. (Dublin: Geography Publications, 1992). : Morris, Henry F. The "principal inhabitants" of county Waterford in 1746. pp.309, 310.
- GREENE, J. ''Pedigree of the Greene family''. (Dublin: 1899): All
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : BRADY, Donald. Appendix III, houses mentioned by Smith. p 307.
- LYONS, Mary C. ''Illustrated Incumbered Estates, Ireland, 1850-1905.'' Whitegate, county Clare: Ballinakella Press, 1993. : 46-47
- ''Jnl of the Waterford and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society'' : Sadleir, Thomas U. The county of Waterford, 1775: principal gentry. XVI (1913), pp.49-55.
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court Sale reports, 8 December 1852, p.3. 23 May 1855, p.4.
- O'BYRNE, ROBERT. ''The Irish aesthete: ruins of Ireland.'' London: Cico Books, 2019. : pp.82-83 (Kilmanahan Castle).