Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Greene (Old Abbey)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Dillon (Clonbrock) The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later acquired properties in neighbouring counties including Roscommon and Galway. Lord Clonbrock was listed as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lord Clonbrock was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Ahascragh, Fohanagh, Killalaghtan and Killosolan in the barony of Kilconnell and Killoran in the barony of Longford. In the 1870s the Clonbrock estate in county Galway amounted to over 28,000 acres. Lands, house and demesne at Cahir, barony of Clonmacnowen, owned by James Dillon, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in July 1854. In 1906 Lord Clonbrock held over 2000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Clonbrock. The Dillon's county Limerick estate appears to have come into their possession through the marriage in 1776 of the first Baron with Letitia Greene of Old Abbey, county Limerick, the only child of John Greene. James Kelly was the agent for the county Limerick estate in the early 19th century. The county Limerick estate was situated in the baronies of Connello Lower and Shanid. The Clonbrock Papers contain a printed notice of the sale of lands held in fee by Lord Clonbrock amounting to about 2395 acres and the lands of Loughill and Coonagh held under the See of Limerick circa 600 acres, dated 19 Dec 1829 MS 35705 (5). Correspondence expressing interest in the purchase of the Dillon's county Limerick estate was received from David Roche of Carass, Robert Maunsell and Stephen Dickson who bought the property in 1831, see MS 35,727 (10).
Greene (Old Abbey) The Greenes were settled at Old Abbey, county Limerick, from the early 17th century when they obtained a lease of the property from Sir Charles Coote. 'Burke's Irish Family Records' traces their descent from Captain Godfrey Greene, a '49 officer', who had 2 sons John of Old Abbey and Godfrey of Moorestown, county Tipperary. John Greene, grandson of John of Old Abbey, married Catherine Toler, sister of the 1st Earl of Norbury and they had an only daughter Letitia who in 1776 married Robert Dillon 1st Baron Clonbrock. The Clonbrock Papers show that John Greene also lived at Lettyville, county Tipperary. The Taylor and Skinner map indicates that Ballyrickard House may be the house known as Lettyville in the 18th century. The county Limerick estate of the Greenes was mainly located in the barony of Shanid. M. J. Dore writes that John Greene was succeeded at Old Abbey by his first cousin George Hodges of Shanagolden, county Limerick. The Clonbrock Papers in the National Library of Ireland contain 18th century records relating to the Old Abbey estate of the Greenes, including the will of John Greene of Old Abbey 1741.
Greene (Cos Tipperary & Waterford) Godfrey Greene was granted 541 acres at Mooretown-Keating, Knocknangle and Rathmore, barony of Iffa and Offa, county Tipperary, in 1678, to hold for the use of his children John, Mary, Godfrey and Francis Greene by his deceased wife, Frances, daughter of Robert Cox of Bruff, county Limerick. This extensive family had many branches in the 18th and 19th centuries, including those of Old Abbey, county Limerick, Kilmanahan, county Waterford, Greenville, county Kilkenny and Kilkea Lodge, county Kildare. The Waterford estate consisted of land forfeited by the Gough family and it appears that a Godfrey Greene married one of this family as his second wife. Sadleir refers to a Michael Green of Kilnamack, married to a Miss Bunbury in 1775. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Greene of Greenville, county Kilkenny, held land in the parishes of Caher and Inishlounaght, barony of Iffa and Offa East (including Moorstown), Baptistgrange and Kiltinan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, Inishlounaght and Kilronan, barony of Glenahiry and Modeligo, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. Other family members held land in the parishes of Killaloon and Garrangibbon, county Tipperary.The Glenahiry estate was eventually sold in the Encumbered Estates Court following extravagent expenditure on the conversion of Kilmanahan Castle. The Freeman's Journal reported in December 1852 that David Mahony had purchased some lots in trust. In May 1855 lands which were part of the estate of John Greene M.P. [for county Kilkenny 1847-1865] in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny were advertised for sale. John Greene M.P. lived at Greenville. Some lots were purchased by Mr. Grubb and the sale of other lots was adjourned. Lands in the parish of Kilgobnet, barony of Decies-without-Drum, the property of John Green and others, were offered for sale in November 1857 and July 1859. This land was originally leased by the Walsh estate of Prospect Hall, county Waterford, in the eighteenth century. In the 1870s Mrs Margaret Green of Shannon View, Limerick, owned 1,074 acres in county Tipperary.
Crawford In the mid 19th century William Cooper Crawford, son of Cooper Crawford, held land in the parishes of Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin and Kilruane, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. In October 1850 the demesne lands of Rapla and other lands were advertised for sale, the estate of William Cooper Crawford and his wife Sophia. Further lands at Rapla were advertised in November 1851. William Crawford of Fortfield, Templemore, owned 266 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.