Greene (Cos Tipperary & Waterford)
Godfrey Greene was granted 541 acres at Mooretown-Keating, Knocknangle and Rathmore, barony of Iffa and Offa, county Tipperary, in 1678, to hold for the use of his children John, Mary, Godfrey and Francis Greene by his deceased wife, Frances, daughter of Robert Cox of Bruff, county Limerick. This extensive family had many branches in the 18th and 19th centuries, including those of Old Abbey, county Limerick, Kilmanahan, county Waterford, Greenville, county Kilkenny and Kilkea Lodge, county Kildare. The Waterford estate consisted of land forfeited by the Gough family and it appears that a Godfrey Greene married one of this family as his second wife. Sadleir refers to a Michael Green of Kilnamack, married to a Miss Bunbury in 1775. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Greene of Greenville, county Kilkenny, held land in the parishes of Caher and Inishlounaght, barony of Iffa and Offa East (including Moorstown), Baptistgrange and Kiltinan, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, Inishlounaght and Kilronan, barony of Glenahiry and Modeligo, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. Other family members held land in the parishes of Killaloon and Garrangibbon, county Tipperary.The Glenahiry estate was eventually sold in the Encumbered Estates Court following extravagent expenditure on the conversion of Kilmanahan Castle. The Freeman's Journal reported in December 1852 that David Mahony had purchased some lots in trust. In May 1855 lands which were part of the estate of John Greene M.P. [for county Kilkenny 1847-1865] in counties Tipperary and Kilkenny were advertised for sale. John Greene M.P. lived at Greenville. Some lots were purchased by Mr. Grubb and the sale of other lots was adjourned. Lands in the parish of Kilgobnet, barony of Decies-without-Drum, the property of John Green and others, were offered for sale in November 1857 and July 1859. This land was originally leased by the Walsh estate of Prospect Hall, county Waterford, in the eighteenth century.
In the 1870s Mrs Margaret Green of Shannon View, Limerick, owned 1,074 acres in county Tipperary.